Question on hybrids vs woods

New player never tried a hybrid before had always used a 3 or 5 wood. Do you all prefer the hybrids over woods. And do you carry both or one or the other.
    Just curious as the benefit of them over woods in your alls opinions.

2. Member
    Hybrids are much easier to hit IMO, especially out of the rough. A wood will get you more distance, but is harder to control as well. I carry a 3 wood and a 3 hybrid to bridge the gap between driver and 4 iron.

3. Scraps
    Anyone I know that has tried them never went back. Easier to hit, more forgiving, etc.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    I have two hybrids I love-Titliest 19 and 21 degrees. I hit them 185-190 and 195-205.
    They are fantastic out of the rough where a wood cannot go.
    The go long and straight and as King31 says they are easier to control.
    They perform better than the long irons at these distances as they fly the ball higher and set it on the green where a long iron will hit and roll off.
    Every golfer should have at least one.
    I watched tiger hit one to 18 yesterday some crazy distance and held the green putting for eagle on a par 5.

I carry a 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid and a 5 hybrid. Those hybrids are what I use instead of a 3,4 and 5 Iron. I can hit the 3 wood OK, but I love the hybrids. During my fitting we adjusted the lofts on the hybrids to get the gapping correct. As stated above, hybrids work great out of the rough, have fantastic ball trajectory and are more forgiving.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

in your guys opinion with the Hybrids is there even a need to carry a 3 or 5 wood? and just carry like said before a 3,4 & 5 Hybrid
    just trying to get some ideas for down the road when I want to upgrade some.

7. Member
    A 3 hybrid is about 19*, while a 3w is 13-15* usually. These are two different clubs. I carrier a 14.5* 3w, its my favorite club in the bag. I have a 5w 18.5*, that is usually great too, but it was not yesterday. LOL Hybrids are made for amateurs because they are easy to hit. Most "pros" would say amateurs should skip a 3w and look at something like a 5w or 2 hybrid because it will be easier for them to get it off the ground. I am far from a pro, but I've been hitting a 3w since I was 10, there was no such thing as a hybrid back then.

8. Member
    3 wood is my best friend, I hit it good off the deck and because sometimes i'm all over the place with a driver, I still hit a 3 iron but have added a 18 degree hybrid that replaced my 5 wood, I sort of like these new iron like hybrids, going to try several out.

9. Member
    Hybrids aren't meant to replace woods. They're replacements for long irons. Most will have an easier time getting a hybrid airborne than than they would with a 2, 3, 4, or in some cases even 5 or 6 iron.

For almost everyone who plays golf recreationally, it makes sense to play the most forgiving club you can stand to look at.
    ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

10. Member
    I agree with the hybrids replacing long irons. I carry a 3 wood and 3-5 hybrid which replaced my 3-5 irons. I struggled for 3 years with those long irons and watched my handicap climb 5 to 6 strokes. The first year I started playing the hybrids my handicap went back down to where it was before the long iron problems started.

11. Member
    I recommend keeping a 3 wood for multiple reasons.
    I did give up my 4 and 5 woods that I hit 220 and 205.
    My 19 degree hybrid will go 205 if I crush it.
    Course I play now doesn’t seem to create any 220 yard shots for me-yet.
    Different courses or tee boxes create need for different clubs.
    Game deterioration will also create the need for other clubs over time.
    Finally, you need to plan to have 10-25 putters in the garage! Hard to give good ones up even if they misbehave!

12. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Personally, I don't find hybrids easier to hit than fairway woods but I've always been good with fairway woods. I carry 14.5 degree 3 wood, 18 degree 5 wood, and a 22 degree 4 Hybrid. For me, its more about gapping my distances than anything for ME.

Slower swing speed guys IMO should carry more hybrids to replace any long - mid irons they can.

Moral of the story.....golf is hard. Find what works for you.