League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)

I want a 4 Stroke, Keep the 2014 921 Phoenix and repower or sell

I'd like to get a 4 stroke, not that there is anything wrong with my 250 Pro XS. I doubt it has 200 hrs on it.

My boat is in great shape, 2014 921. Not sure if would come out better selling and buying a new boat or near new. Have no idea what my I could get for my Pro XS if I tried to sell it. I would guess a new 4 stroke merc would run 19 to 20k. I need to google and see what ball park my Pro XS would bring.

At some point I would need to update electrics and trolling motor. Not sure I would come out much better over the long run keeping boat and doing a repower to 4 stroke.

Comments please, I bet someone is much more informed on this subject that I am.

2. Member
    If your boat is your forever boat run your 2 stroke till it's dead and repower. If you ever plan on selling I haven't seen where you will get your money out of a repower

3. Member
    Good problem to have.

4. Member
    2019 Mercury 4 stroke 200 $18000.00
    v8 power its a beast so the 250 hp must be a monster
    But I would not repower on that new of a boat'
    If you really want the 4 stroke sell yours and buy new boat and motor

5. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    Kry29,

Noticed lived in Nederland, my wife grew up in Nederland, moved to League City when she was 12 or so. We just drove through Beaumont coming back from our place at Rayburn.

I'm close to retirement, I may want to think ab out a newer boat to be my last one/forever boat. I need to run the numbers on a new or newer boat, think about selling and buying my forever boat. Clearing that with my not so understanding Southeast Texas wife is another story!!!

6. Member
    Haha. Yea we are in Nederland for now. Looking for a new house. I say if your retirement is set good then get a new one with new warranties.

7. Member
    I have a 2015 Phoenix 920 pro xp, I went thru the same dilemma!...think I made the best choice’ by repowering ‘ instead of buying new boat !, the “pro xp “ models are basicly unchanged! , & mine is in great shape !, but was only worth about 40k“ as far as resale “ so instead of paying 80k for a new boat ! I only spent 10k on a new v8 4s, after selling old motor for 10k !,best part !... still have boat that is paid off !....

8. Member
    If you love the boat and it is in great shape - repower.
    (it really is that simple.)
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRic View Post
    If you love the boat and it is in great shape - repower.
    (it really is that simple.)
    ^This.

The $20 grand cost of the new engine would be cut in half if you sell your old motor to partially pay for the new. (That is "If" you want to wait around to find a buyer.) The second option would be to just trade in the old engine for the new. You wouldn't get as much value but the deal would go through faster. Either way, when compared to buying a whole new rig for $60, $70 or $80 it should be a no brainer.

A 2014 is not an old boat. If you've kept the hull in good to mint condition, you can easily keep it up to date because the great thing about these boats is pretty much every thing is bolt on. New engines, electronics, trolling motors, bilge pumps and so on.

Lastly, I re-powered my 2008 Triton, (Which is in great shape, garage kept, and is my forever boat) last year and have no regrets! I love the new Merc 4-Stroke! If I continue to take care of the boat and engine it ought to last another 10-15 years. Maybe, some time down the road, I'll even re-power it one more time!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

10. Member
    I would look for a newer boat like you have with a 4 stroke engine, I just think in the long run you would be better off.

11. Banned
    TAke a look in the listings here....there are several 2 strokes newer than yours with warranty for 10kish. I think If I were in your shoes, I'd liquidate the whole rig and start over.

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Sell your motor and get a new v8 if you plan on keeping it forever.

13. Member
    If you are thinking about a brand new forever rig for your upcoming retirement, then I would not repower. Run your present rig, then sell (or trade) and go new when you retire as long as it does not present financial hardship.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

14. Member
    I would not repower, if you want new electronics, motor and trolling motor. Sell it as a package it will be worth more. The pulled motor has got good value but you'll get little to nothing for the other items used.

15. Member
    Sell it now why you still have value and people are willing to buy a boat with a 2 stroke. Take that money and if you have access to other cash buy a new or late model used boat with everything you want on it. Pay cash if you have it or finance the balance and pay it off early.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Keep the motor and sell the boat , nothing like a two stroke in the morning idiling ready to blast off .
    P.S. I was kidding about Phoenix .

17. Member
    I think you would be better off trading your boat in on a boat with a 4 stroke engine if you want one that bad.