Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 center rod rod tube removal

Going to tackle this on my 17' 188 in a month or so before spring hits. Usually keep 16-17 rods on tournmanet day and while I can get them to fit, it's cramped. Wanting to remove the rod tubes in the center storage and fabricate essentially a carpeted "box" extension to take it's place. I'm not sure how I want to attach the box extension to the current box like how the tubes are attached /w the tubes but i'm open to ideas. I think I could just build the box and then attach it. Anybody have any pointers or ideas or pics of them they have done?

Have you removed the TM tray to see how the rod tubes extend into the bow? As tight as it is in there, I can’t visualize how you can get a box into the space.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Have you removed the TM tray to see how the rod tubes extend into the bow? As tight as it is in there, I can’t visualize how you can get a box into the space.
    I have and that's my only concern. That thing sits low. I think I may have to pull the tubes out /w the tray in there and go from there to see if this is doable. I do like a center rod locker so moving it to the sides isn't what I want to do. Was hoping somebody did this with out long the 188 has been out but /w all the searching and nothing coming up...I'm starting to wonder if this is even possible. I'd go out to the garage and check but it's cold and rum/coke's are keeping me warm.

4. Banned
    I don’t see why you couldn’t build a curved/tapered box and slide it right in. Sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted on how it goes. Worst case maybe you make it 2 piece, put the first half in, drop the 2nd piece in, connect them and shove it the rest of the way.

be aware that the front electric is right there as well. I think that the tubes will hold an 8' rod so if you dont have anything that long shorten the box, it will help with clearance issues. I noticed while watching a video on a new Skeeter they eliminated the tubes and have gone to a single large opening as well. The new front deck on the Tracker 195 I just got has moved the rods from the center back out to the sides, I like this.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

6. Member
    I don’t have a 188, but if you remove the tubes, why do you need to put in a box?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    be aware that the front electric is right there as well. I think that the tubes will hold an 8' rod so if you dont have anything that long shorten the box, it will help with clearance issues. I noticed while watching a video on a new Skeeter they eliminated the tubes and have gone to a single large opening as well. The new front deck on the Tracker 195 I just got has moved the rods from the center back out to the sides, I like this.
    why did you get rid of the 188?
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    why did you get rid of the 188?
    JD
    Because I owned it, it was liquid and I knew it would sale fast. I had to replace my AC unit and air handler, and had plumbing issues I put on a CC that I wanted to pay off. The plan was to do that and pick up a cash boat. The wife said go ahead and get a new boat so we aren't sinking money into someone else's headache. Who am I to say no. We looked at a 198 but she wasn't a fan of the coin box so we got the Tracker.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

9. Member
    I picked up an RT188 last summer and I would like to do this, too. I took the screws out of the black plate and the tubes/plate wouldn't budge. I'm thinking that maybe it's glued in, too? I quit messing with it at that point but I would like to have a go at it again because I know you could get a lot more rods in there without the tubes. @Grahamb, the box would just keep any wiring that is up there under the deck out of where the rods go.

10. Member
    I was under the impression the tubes are "foamed" in, because some one posted here a few years ago that that was a one of diferrences between the Triton and the Ranger.

11. Member
    I've been under there a few times running wires and mounting graph brackets and the pvc tubes definitely aren't foamed in. I haven't tried to remove the bracket yet but something might be holding it back. I do know its removable. There's a few that have done it. Im' still thinking this through. Definitely going to do it, but I want it to look professional and done correctly.

The tubes are NOT foamed in. There is some foam to the left of them and to the right that probably differs from boat to boat as to the amount... but they are not foamed in. I was all under there recently.

Personally I like the tubes. I don't like a lot of rods I am not using under my feet on the deck. If I did not have the tubes, I would have to stop and put a rod sleeve on a rod if I put it back to keep all the hooks and lines from tangling on the eyelets and wrapping each other. Some people get two rods to a tube when they travel.....That leaves room for a lot of rods and has them sort of straight and organized .. at least in my case. I honestly can't imagine needing more rods than that....

What you want to do is doable. It will not be bad once you get started.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Not a 188, but I took out the tubes in my Smokercraft and lined the rod box with carpet sections that lock together, got em on amazon for like $20 and they match the boat carpet colour almost perfectly. Went from storing 8 rods to easily 20.

Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

15. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I like the tubes and can get 2 rods in each. It is tight up there and I would NOT take the chance of messing something up. With the side rod storage, you can easily get your rods in without removing the tubes.
    GOOD LUCK if you do and please post pics if you decide to do it.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

16. Member
    Put rod socks on your rods and you can put 3 in each tube easy. I took out the back plastic piece.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    I like the tubes and can get 2 rods in each. It is tight up there and I would NOT take the chance of messing something up. With the side rod storage, you can easily get your rods in without removing the tubes.
    GOOD LUCK if you do and please post pics if you decide to do it.
    I like the tubes too. I explained some reasons why above, but people are different.... when I looked at the boat, the layout, the huge front deck, and the tubes were some reasons I bought it.... I really like them. If I did not have them, the line from the rods in storage would get all tangled in the line, hooks and reels of other rods. I believe you would have to use sleeves even when you were fishing. I hate a lot of rods on my deck under my feet. If I have one I might need but not right away, I slide it in a top tube.

I agree with everything you said......but I don't understand the part in bold....???
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Because I owned it, it was liquid and I knew it would sale fast. I had to replace my AC unit and air handler, and had plumbing issues I put on a CC that I wanted to pay off. The plan was to do that and pick up a cash boat. The wife said go ahead and get a new boat so we aren't sinking money into someone else's headache. Who am I to say no. We looked at a 198 but she wasn't a fan of the coin box so we got the Tracker.
    think I saw you at Alvarado last week.

19. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I agree with everything you said......but I don't understand the part in bold....???
    I put it in bold as some forget all about the passenger side storage. You can get extra rods there with no problem.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

20. Member
    I am anti-tube, hate the darn things in my Triton...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast