Thread: Shaft length

Shaft length

I have a digital 109 motorguide with gatormount 45 n shaft. The new motors tour pro ghost ultrex ect. and the new mounts do you need to adjust shaft length. I fish rivers mostly and throwing under bushes and trees side arm cast majority of the time and need the head of motor down as far as it will go, or the budget for rods and lures take a big hit.

thanks

2. Member
    I have a MinnKota Ultrex with the 54 inch shaft and I like the fact that the head is a little higher because it helps me note the direction of the head and where I'm heading. Also because I can adjust it to put the motor deeper so it does not come out of the water in waves. A lot of people say that they want a short motor because they feel it's going to be in the way. In more than 40 years of fishing, I've never hit the trolling motor once. I also fish rivers and cast side arm. Has anybody had that problem of hitting the motor or is it just a precaution ?

3. Member
    I'm special I rode the short bus..... I have broke 2 rods and a bunch of crankbaits over the years on the trolling motor and that is with the head all the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'm special I rode the short bus..... I have broke 2 rods and a bunch of crankbaits over the years on the trolling motor and that is with the head all the way down.
    Yep, you are SPECIAL, lol !!! I've been doin this since 1970 and have never hit the trolling motor, windshield, or big motor, not even one time and I cast semi side arm !! I have hit the gunnel a few times when pitching, and I've only hit a fishing partner Twice, and it was the SAME guy both times, but years apart, LOL !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

buy a 45" minkota, if need be you can cut a few inches off the shaft and make it a 42"
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Yep, you are SPECIAL, lol !!! I've been doin this since 1970 and have never hit the trolling motor, windshield, or big motor, not even one time and I cast semi side arm !! I have hit the gunnel a few times when pitching, and I've only hit a fishing partner Twice, and it was the SAME guy both times, but years apart, LOL !!!
    Actually: I'd have to say YOU'RE SPECIAL.
    50 Years and not Once.