Thread: Shell Lake help

Shell Lake help

Hey guys! Just found out that the little gem (less than 500 acres) we've fished in Eagle River already booked up for our usual May weekend trip so I'm on to plan B. I usually spend a week plus up in Hayward the week of Labor Day but was eyeballing some other small lakes not quite so far up just north of Eau Claire. If you could, gimme some thoughts on Shell Lake as it has become a possible target. Type of fishing? i.e. weeds, rock, laydowns, docks...what kind of depth does it have? Cabin I was looking at on VRBO looked like a really long, shallow dock. Is there a public launch on the lake? Appreciate any input...thanks!!!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyotaKev View Post
    Hey guys! Just found out that the little gem (less than 500 acres) we've fished in Eagle River already booked up for our usual May weekend trip so I'm on to plan B. I usually spend a week plus up in Hayward the week of Labor Day but was eyeballing some other small lakes not quite so far up just north of Eau Claire. If you could, gimme some thoughts on Shell Lake as it has become a possible target. Type of fishing? i.e. weeds, rock, laydowns, docks...what kind of depth does it have? Cabin I was looking at on VRBO looked like a really long, shallow dock. Is there a public launch on the lake? Appreciate any input...thanks!!!
    It's been a few years but what I can remember is that it's a clear lake. Not a lot of weeds except for a shallow bay with a bunch of cabbage. Main lake is sand/gravel and a lot of cribs The shallow bay had largemouth. There is a public launch on the west end of the lake. You don't get the "up north" feel on this lake. A lot of house on the lake. Decent fishing though!

3. Member
    Smallie fishing has exploded in the last few years out here. I live 2 miles from it and fish it several times a week. Last year caught several in the 3-4# range fishing cribs and rock. Someone did catch a 6# during a tournament out there last year, was a tank. Launch is right in town by the campground with plenty of parking (unless its the 4th of July weekend). Let me know if you need more info or want some more advice on the lake as the date gets closer. Would be happy to "guide" you guys if you need it. Also if you need a place to store the boat securely I have enough room in my shop for another boat.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"