RT188P a Tourny Rig?

If loaded up with good electronics, ultrex, and maybe a powerpole or two, is the Ranger rt188p a viable Tournament Rig? Is the ProXS 115 enough horses to get the job done? I’m considering this rig but I also want to fish a few local/regional tournaments as well...

2. Member
    definitely the boat will do the job. IMO the biggest obstacle would be the ability of the livewells in most tins to keep 5 big fish alive for 8 hours, especially in hot temps. Most of these tin livewells are nothing more than a plastic tub under an aluminum lid. Most aren't insulated, but if you can keep the fish alive you should be good to go.

3. Member
    I am worried about the 115. I’m fine with it as it is more than enough just out leasure fishing but in a tourny..

4. Member
    A 20' sparkle rig with a 250 rarely lets you catch more fish.

5. Member
    The boat is just a platform to fish from. By all accounts the 188 is a good platform. You will be just fine if you use one.

6. Banned
    If you cant catch them from that boat you won't be able to catch them from any boat.

1970s Rangers TR10s were king of the hill, used in the BASSMASTER CLASSICs. Y’all know the boat! I had 2.
    think about it, a narrow boat 17’ with an 85HP.
    This was a tourney boat all over the country. Now, I’m an old goat, but I remember taking my bass boat to the events in back of my pickup truck and use truck battery for TM. A highly successful FLW/ BASS angler was beside me taking his Jon boat out his truck bed.
    we never discussed boat performance, we fished.
    any bass boat is bottom line , a tourney boat.
    yes, I have a 20’ boat! After years of glass I went to an RT198P.
    I got to say this is the funnest boat to drive and fish events in, I feel like a kid again.
    even in rough water my happiness is renewed reminiscent of the boats of the 70s.
    it’s kinda fun to bounce around some. Really, this RT is as good a ride as most big boats I’ve owned.
    So, in my opinion RT188P is plenty boat.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BR374 View Post
    1970s Rangers TR10s were king of the hill, used in the BASSMASTER CLASSICs. Y’all know the boat! I had 2.
    think about it, a narrow boat 17’ with an 85HP.
    This was a tourney boat all over the country. Now, I’m an old goat, but I remember taking my bass boat to the events in back of my pickup truck and use truck battery for TM. A highly successful FLW/ BASS angler was beside me taking his Jon boat out his truck bed.
    we never discussed boat performance, we fished.
    any bass boat is bottom line , a tourney boat.
    yes, I have a 20’ boat! After years of glass I went to an RT198P.
    I got to say this is the funnest boat to drive and fish events in, I feel like a kid again.
    even in rough water my happiness is renewed reminiscent of the boats of the 70s.
    it’s kinda fun to bounce around some. Really, this RT is as good a ride as most big boats I’ve owned.
    So, in my opinion RT188P is plenty boat.
    Amen. So many tied up in how fast they can go and how many graphs are on their boat. Remember, an old man with a Jon boat and a creme worm may wax your hind end on the lake.
    2019 Ranger rt188
    Merc 115 Pro xs ct
    Minn Kota Edge 70
    Tempest 21p

I agree and I have had a big BassCat that rode great and was fast. I almost bought a new 198P but my son found a really good deal on an 18’ glass boat. It was too good to pass up. It will be fine for the occasional tournament. About the only places it would be lacking would be the great lakes or huge lakes like Lake Hartwell especially if it is a “draw” tournament.

Get it! Be Happy and go fishing!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by RHuff View Post
    I am worried about the 115. I’m fine with it as it is more than enough just out leasure fishing but in a tourny..
    I fish club tournaments out of my RT188 and the only complaint is being the last one my fishing spot. I usually have to settle for a spot that is not my first choice.
    If you are coming out of a glass boat, you will need to adjust to 45 MPH.

If I were to do it over, I would get the 198P

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    You can absolutely tournament fish out of almost any boat with killswitch and livewell and once you get there the 188 will probably fish as good as any. However, you'll obviously be sacrificing speed, fishing time and probably a couple spots. Some spots will have other anglers already, other spots may just seem to far away to try and fish before the end of the day. If you love shallow water fishing and are the type of guy that wants to sit down and work a couple areas really good it will probably be fine. If you like to run and gun all day covering a ton of water than maybe the 188 isnt for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I fish club tournaments out of my RT188 and the only complaint is being the last one my fishing spot. I usually have to settle for a spot that is not my first choice.
    If you are coming out of a glass boat, you will need to adjust to 45 MPH.

If I were to do it over, I would get the 198P
    Have to agree with this. Unless you have spots you want to fish close by get used to being beat to the spot and stuck in the slow lane. As far as fishing from it thats a non issue its just not a speed demon and if it gets rough or windy not a fun ride either.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerjeff View Post
    Amen. So many tied up in how fast they can go and how many graphs are on their boat. Remember, an old man with a Jon boat and a creme worm may wax your hind end on the lake.
    It wasn't a tournament but my brother and I were hard fishing all morning with nothing but 1 dink to show for it. Pull into a cove and fished about 20 minutes without a bite. Old man in an old Tracker with a 35 Johnson comes around the point and we watch him land 2 fish in about 5 cast. As we cross paths he asks how we are doing and we said not well, he said well its getting too hot out for me here try these and throws a pack of worms in my boat and fires up and leaves. Bubblegum finesse worms. My brother laughs and keeps fishing, I find a 3X hook and 1/16 bullet weight rig it Texas style and put 5 in the boat before we leave the cove. I now have those same worms and some bubble gum Senko's in my arsenal. As to the OP, Being first to a hole doesn't guarantee success.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    It wasn't a tournament but my brother and I were hard fishing all morning with nothing but 1 dink to show for it. Pull into a cove and fished about 20 minutes without a bite. Old man in an old Tracker with a 35 Johnson comes around the point and we watch him land 2 fish in about 5 cast. As we cross paths he asks how we are doing and we said not well, he said well its getting too hot out for me here try these and throws a pack of worms in my boat and fires up and leaves. Bubblegum finesse worms. My brother laughs and keeps fishing, I find a 3X hook and 1/16 bullet weight rig it Texas style and put 5 in the boat before we leave the cove. I now have those same worms and some bubble gum Senko's in my arsenal. As to the OP, Being first to a hole doesn't guarantee success.
    I only throw the bubblegum when nothing else is working but for some reason the BG works sometimes when nothing else will.

15. Member
    It doesn't seem to matter how fast the boat was when I quit tournament fishing. You could have an Allison and draw a number toward the end of the pack. The bigger boats DO give you more comfort. How much do you want to pay for that comfort?