Filling Old Transducer Holes

I am going to be installing a new transducer that will be flush mounted to the bottom of my boat. The new transducer mounting plate will cover all of the old transducer holes. Should I just use silicone to fill the holes and be done with it. I don’t mind using something else, but I just want to fill the hole and not make a mess. Not interested in gel coating over the screw holes as you won’t see them under the metal bracket. Thanks in advance! I’m new to boat rigging. LOL

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I would use Marine-Tex epoxy. You may want to slightly over drill the holes and then carefully clean them out for best adhesion.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Thanks CatFan!!! Marine-Tex is what I saw in my BBC search. The drill holes are not big and they don't go all the way through the fiberglass. I need something that is fairly simple to use and doesn't make a mess. I don't want to spread this stuff all over the bottom of the boat. LOL. I was looking at the 3M Fiberglass repair product at first internet search. I thought it might be overkill as I looked into it more. Again I am a rookie and wanted a winter project before spring fishing started. I really appreciate the feedback!!!

4. Member
    I always mix epoxy thickened with milled fibers (404 High Density Filler) then inject the epoxy from the bottom of the hole out. The epoxy syringes sold by West Systems has a extended tip allowing it to reach all the way in.

5. Member
    Thanks rojoguio!

6. Member
    I have complete the filler with Marine-Tex. I had to sand it a little to make it flat due to gravity. Should I seal it with anything (gel-coat)? It is on the bottom of my boat so no one will see it. The new transducer will cover the old screw holes. Thanks in advance!