Getting started on an acoustic recommendations?

Bought a Seagull acoustic awhile back and regret not learning how to play in my younger years. Committed to learn with goal being to eventually play some simple blues. Suspecting lessons will be recommended, and if so, what kind of teacher should I look for and how often (weekly, monthly)? Thanks...

If you can do weekly that would be best as long as he leaves you with stuff to work on as a goal. Also try Yousician app. It's not the greatest but something to play along to.

I highly recommend going and looking at Justinguitar.com. great structured curriculum to learn and practice plan. Totally free and learn at your own pace on your own terms.

I had zero music knowledge and have completed the beginner course and love playing. Started at about 36 years old.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

4. Member
    once a week w/ a teacher... online supplements are great - have the teacher pick some that supplement what he/she is working you through.

1) Learn a song you like.
    2) Have fun playing/singing
    3) repeat
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

5. Member
    leave the guitar out where it will remind you to practice. try and play everyday even if its for a little bit.
    you tube has lots of great videos
    Marty Schwartz is one my favorites to learn songs

6. Member
    All good reccomendations. I learned to play by ear without any lessons. I'm no Allen Shad ( fishinpicker) which is a member on here so look him up. I'm now using youtube a little trying to learn bluegrass banjo. I'm not going to be an Earl Scruggs or Ralph Stanley either one, but only trying to learn for a year i'm doing alright. The main thing is to practice & always make it enjoyable so it never gets old which is why most give up.

7. Member
    Learn this and play …………. scales, scales, scales....and Les Young, checkout BanjoBen.com He has some good teaching material.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRanger1 View Post
    Learn this and play …………. scales, scales, scales....and Les Young, checkout BanjoBen.com He has some good teaching material.
    Oh Yeah i've saw a bunch of Banjo Bens stuff.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    Bought a Seagull acoustic awhile back and regret not learning how to play in my younger years. Committed to learn with goal being to eventually play some simple blues. Suspecting lessons will be recommended, and if so, what kind of teacher should I look for and how often (weekly, monthly)? Thanks...
    Rule number one, have fun!

Welcome to the world of guitar. If you thought bass fishing is an expensive addiction, you ain't seen nothing yet! lol. Seriously, a Seagull is a good starter. As mentioned, there is a lot of information available on YouTube, some of it is good and some not so good. I am self taught, and I play by ear. That being said however I do recommend in person lessons, either on their own or in addition to YT videos. An in person instructor can stop you from learning (then practicing) bad habits, or bad form. Ask around your area to see which teachers come recommended by students, not JUST the store where they may teach. As for how often, that depends on how much time you can spend practicing between lessons and how quickly you learn. You don't want to waste your time and money going every week if two week intervals serve you better.

And remember..... have fun!