Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Same thing I was thinking.
    Does anyone ever read a whole thread?
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    if you have the free time i'd go ahead and report it to the DA and maybe the scum bag will get a little more time. They could hang restitution on him but from the sounds of this character i doubt you ever see any money but you never know..
    unfortunately it sounds like your'e gonna have to cut your loss and chalk this one up to experience... any financial loss sux but luckily it wasn't a 20k+ boat..
    Hard to figure how the lien never came up when you registered it..

sorry it happened to you man,,,,

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

3. Member
    When you buy or sell a used vehicle, you should ALWAYS get the physical, signed title transferred. If selling, you might also want to make sure that the new owner files it--even if you have to go with them. I sold a car once and did not do this. Two years later, the police call about an "abandoned vehicle" that I owned. Seems the guy never put the title in his name to save the transfer fee. Fortunately, once I told them that I'd sold it, they dropped the matter and hauled the car to a junk yard. But what would have happened if it was in a wreck?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    You may as well call the DA, I guess. Not sure what the crime is called: fraud? 'theft by deception'? They may tack on some charges to whatever he's in for now.
    maybe illegal enrichment....

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    When you buy or sell a used vehicle, you should ALWAYS get the physical, signed title transferred. If selling, you might also want to make sure that the new owner files it--even if you have to go with them. I sold a car once and did not do this. Two years later, the police call about an "abandoned vehicle" that I owned. Seems the guy never put the title in his name to save the transfer fee. Fortunately, once I told them that I'd sold it, they dropped the matter and hauled the car to a junk yard. But what would have happened if it was in a wreck?
    His state doesnt have boat titles, my state doesnt issue boat title either. I'm surprised what happened to the OP doesnt happen more often, it would be so easy to do. My boat is paid for, but lets say I owe 10,000 on it. You come to buy it, you pay me and I write you a bill of sale, and off you go. When you go register the boat it wont show a lien, so all is well untill some bank calls wanting the boat.

Just out of curiosity, did he bank offer to let you satisfy the lien before they repossessed it?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    In Texas all you need to do is file a VTR-346 informing the state that you sold the vehicle. That releases you from any liability. Most states have a similar procedure.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuel View Post
    His state doesnt have boat titles, my state doesnt issue boat title either. I'm surprised what happened to the OP doesnt happen more often, it would be so easy to do. My boat is paid for, but lets say I owe 10,000 on it. You come to buy it, you pay me and I write you a bill of sale, and off you go. When you go register the boat it wont show a lien, so all is well untill some bank calls wanting the boat.
    I bought my boat from an individual in Arkansas. They didn't do boat titles there either, and was also looking at one in another nearby state. Before I drove down there I stopped by my local Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, the lady told me exactly what I would need and what to look for. Each state was different. I was able to confirm that the person had everything needed before making the long drive.

9. pc6788
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did he bank offer to let you satisfy the lien before they repossessed it?
    Unfortunately no. They said due to there insurance they would have to repossess it.

my father in law went through something very similar at a Marina. Not only was the Marina was keeping all the money and not paying off loans etc for the boats -they were selling boats that were not theirs to sell - the bank then came after my FIL.
    His lawyer got it all sorted though.

Quote Originally Posted by pc6788 View Post
    Unfortunately no. They said due to there insurance they would have to repossess it.
    That sounds odd. You would think they would rather have the money than the boat...

In Texas all you need to do is file a VTR-346 informing the state that you sold the vehicle. That releases you from any liability. Most states have a similar procedure.

The FAQ section on each state's website will have answers on that very thing. When i see buying a boat out of state questions on here you get a ton of answers from people not even remotely close to the two states involved. I often wonderif people truly take advice from a guy in ND in regards to buying a boat in Arkansas and the buyer is from Michigan. Just sounds like a bad recipefor trouble. Takes less time to get on the state website or call the state office of the states involved.

In Texas, you also remove the tags.

P01135809

14. Member
    You should still get a judgement against the thief and place a lien against any of his property both present and future. I have seen many occasions where an inmate was left property of great value or money from the passing of a parent or grandparent while incarcerated. One in particular had to forfeit a house his dead mother left him. See if your States Victims assistance people can help steer you. Hope it works out for you.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pc6788 View Post
    Find out from the bank which insurance company has it and contact them directly. Explain the situation and see if they will make you an offer to purchase. If they won't it will end up at an insurance auction so they may cut you a deal.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by BrianKF View Post
    I bought my boat from an individual in Arkansas. They didn't do boat titles there either, and was also looking at one in another nearby state. Before I drove down there I stopped by my local Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, the lady told me exactly what I would need and what to look for. Each state was different. I was able to confirm that the person had everything needed before making the long drive.
    I have a boat and it has an Arkansas title.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    Find out from the bank which insurance company has it and contact them directly. Explain the situation and see if they will make you an offer to purchase. If they won't it will end up at an insurance auction so they may cut you a deal.
    ^ This^

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I have a boat and it has an Arkansas title.
    I may have been mistaken but I don't remember a title for the boat or motor. I did get a title for the trailer though and a registration card as far as I remember for the boat and the motor. It was a long time ago though so I may not remember correctly. I may be thinking of what was needed in the other state that I was looking at also. I have the Boat and Motor Title here in my state of Texas so everything is all good.
    Last edited by BrianKF; 01-25-2020 at 09:24 AM.

19. Member
    This is a crummy situation. First I would talk to the DA and see if any claim/charges could be filed. Second I would try to talk to the bank's insurance co. to see if you could purchase it back. If they are able to deal with you in that way there is a possibility the numbers will work for you if you still want the boat at that price. After that you may have to walk and mark this up to experience. Personally I wouldn't want to tie up a whole bunch of lawyer fees over a 5K loss. I'd be mad as hell but at some point you have to ask yourself if you are throwing good money at bad money. I'm sorry this happened to you.

The court system doesn't always reach decisions/verdicts that appear just and true so there is the risk that after waiting for a case to go through the courts and incurring the expense the outcome is not guaranteed. Example : I have a friend who got ripped off for 6K he paid to a scuba trainer/outfitter for a diving trip. 9 other people also got ripped off and together their losses were around 50K. My friend hired a private investigator and established that this guy had done nearly the same identical scam on two other occasions in different states. He went to the DA with his grievance who filed charges. The judge ruled that no laws were broken and said the guy was just a bad businessman. My friend and his friends now only have the recourse to go through the process all over again with a civil suit.
    GETFISHED !!!

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    Does anyone ever read a whole thread?
    What fun would that be??!! Lol

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast