Warranty Coverage Question

2015 250 Pro XS: S/N: 2B115753, MercMonitor, 200hrs on motor, 2 additional years warranty added when purchased new. Problem found: Water leak from power head where it meets lower unit. My dealer confirmed coverage is good thru Oct. 2020 but they need to check the problem before advising me (what if anything is covered. My Words). I checked the Sticky at top of page that details Warranty but did not see anything specific to this issue. Has anyone had the same problem and did mercury cover it? Thanks You for any assistance. My dealer is book up one month.
    Last edited by gaston13; 01-25-2020 at 07:18 AM.

If you want a potential warranty claim, you'll need a Mercury dealer to look at it. What are your plans if it is not covered by your warranty? Either way, I wouldn't run the motor with a water leak.

It looks like your are around 4 hours from European Marine. I would consider taking it there if it was me, warranty or no warranty.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

For now I got it scheduled to go back to my original dealer Mare of Aquia Va.. Getting it repaired either way but based on the problem I'm hoping it's covered. Always taken care of and I don't see what anyone could do to avoid the seal or gasket fail. European Marine is a possibility though a little longer drive.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your engine is under a Platinum Product Protection Plan (which is not "warranty"- it is a Service Contract).

Gaskets and Seals are not covered under Platinum Product Protection (for full details, see your Platinum Product Protection Contract).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Your engine is under a Platinum Product Protection Plan (which is not "warranty"- it is a Service Contract).

Gaskets and Seals are not covered under Platinum Product Protection (for full details, see your Platinum Product Protection Contract).
    Thanks Don, can you give a ballpark repair cost for splitting motor and lower R&R seal over 1000?

6. Member
    Where exactly is the water leak? Water leaking from the lower mount area IS normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Where exactly is the water leak? Water leaking from the lower mount area IS normal.
    It appeared to be back of motor dead center inside the cowling at bottom of the block. I have a 2015 Phoenix and have been chasing down a water leak behind my starting battery up high in the boat starboard side. Pulled back rub rail to the drivers seat cleaned old sealant resealed with 4200 all around. Even sealed both ends of the rigging tube especially at the motor under the lower cowling where a small gap appears. Did this because I found water was coming through the rigging tube you stick your hand up there and it was wet. Pushed up on the tube where it had a little belly in it sure enough water came out. Never dawned on me it could be pumping out of the motor. Would never see it while in the water running since it was in the back. Just found it by chance with motor test running on muffs after changing the fuel filter to make sure filter was sealed with no gas leak.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are several items that could potentially leak water in that area. Block Pressure tubing/fittings, Idle Relief Boot, Powerhead Gasket, etc.

None of these are extremely expensive... event the powerhead gasket can be changed in just a couple hours (depending on which gasket version you had... newer wax-coated, or the older "concrete based").

Talk with your dealer- they can estimate exactly what they would be replacing based on a visual inspection.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank You Don appreciate you taking the time out of your day to answer.