Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Found out today my boat was stolen when I bought it

Well, this afternoon I got a bad call. I recently posted on here that my boat had a leak. I decided to take it to a Tracker dealer to have it fixed. I dropped it off Tuesday and they got to it today. The dealer decided contact to Tracker to see if it was under warranty and provided the Hull ID. The numbers on the stickers and the hull tag was not valid so Tracker told them they they hide the number somewhere inside the hull. The dealer located this and found out the boat was stolen 18 months ago. According to Georgia DNR, the boat was sold 2 times before I bought it. I am screwed. The boat was impounded by Lagrange City police. I contacted them but they have not assigned a detective as of yet. Meanwhile, I will still have to make payments on a boat that I no longer own. I am so bummed out right now. Just venting my frustration here. The dealership said whoever stole the boat, knew what they were doing as the replacement stickers and tag looked factory.

2. Member
    the dealer bought and sold stolen merchandise - you think they would be interested in doing something for you. not sure if I would make any more payments on it.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    the dealer bought and sold stolen merchandise - you think they would be interested in doing something for you. not sure if I would make any more payments on it.
    Unfortunately the only thing not making payments would do is wreck OP’s credit rating.

Sorry to hear this though. I assume you bought it privately? If through a dealer, you may have something to hang your hat on. At the very least, once assigned, have the detective trace your paperwork with the original seller and see where the story ends.

A solution that I heard of recently on a truck in a similar situation is that the detective was able to push through for the victim a new title. I forget the technical term, it wasn’t a salvage title but something similar that went in line for situations like this.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

4. Member
    Yes, I bought it from an individual. I am waiting for a detective to be assigned to the case from the Lagrange police department. I have spoken to the detective from Forsyth county where the boat was originally stolen. I just hope I can get the boat back. Maybe from the original insurance company.

5. Member
    And to make matters worse, Just 2 weeks ago I booked a place on Lake Eufaula for a week in April so the wife and I could fish all week.

6. Banned
    Is it that easy to get a boat title in Ga?

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Is it that easy to get a boat title in Ga?
    Boats are not titled in GA.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Boats are not titled in GA.

9. Member
    What a tough situation! Feel for ya man. That's a tough break that could happen to anyone. Sounds like the only possible way to avoid may have been to verify the tag and sticker number with Tracker before buying but I know that if they looked legit - I wouldn't have ever thought of that. From what I understand - if you unknowingly buy stolen property you have the right to fie a lawsuit against the person who sold it to you for restitution (who in turn I guess could do the same....) Either way - tough break.

10. Member
    Holy crap, that sucks. Have you spoken with the bank or your insurance? Maybe see if you have any options there.

11. Member
    Glad I live in SC where they issue you a title. Once that title is in your name. The boat is yours.

12. Member
    good idea with the hidden HID#
    2018 Crestliner PT20
    2018 Evinrude G2 200 H.O.
    Duel 8' PP blades
    Atlas hydraulic jackplate

I would also contact a criminal defense attorney just to explain what happened, just in case you need them in the event an over zealous prosecutor decides to charge you with receiving stolen property. If they think for a second you may have known it was stolen, they most likely will scrutinize you. I would gather all your paperwork, for sale adds, anything you can find to show your innocence. Give it to the detective so he can include it with his report he's going to file with the prosecutors office.

Just my experience following court cases talking.
    Last edited by LennyB; 01-28-2020 at 01:17 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ram rod View Post
    good idea with the hidden HID#
    It’s something that is pretty common. I worked in a motorcycle/power sports shop in the late 90s and the jet skis we sold had hidden HINs in the hull. You had to know where they were and it was a little difficult to read them without a mirror. (No cell phones in those days)

15. Member
    Feel bad for OP but would wonder if original OWNER would like it back?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    Feel bad for OP but would wonder if original OWNER would like it back?
    If insurance paid off on it, it belongs to the insurance company now.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

17. Member
    I am waiting on the Forsyth Sheriff detective to call me back. The boat was impounded by the LaGrange PD, but they are turning everything over to Forsyth county Sheriff as the boat was stolen from there. I am waiting for them to charge the guy I purchased the boat from with selling stolen property. I will have my lawyer sue him and hope to recoup the money I gave him for the boat. It may take a while, but maybe I will get my money back. If that doesn't pan out, I will find out what insurance company has claim and maybe try to buy the boat back from them.....hopefully at a decent price.

18. Member
    Best of luck - keep us posted.

19. Member
    Wow, that sucks! Wish you the best on a good outcome

That really sucks hope thing work out for you and you get your boat back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast