Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Still waiting on the Sheriff's office to get back with me. I really think I am going to be screwed. I did go down to LaGrange to get the police report. It stated that the boat would be returned to the original owner.

2. Member
    Update. Had to speak to the Forsyth County SO detective's supervisor to get any answer out of him. Finally got the insurance company who paid the settlement to the original boat owner. They were angry that the Forsyth count SO did not contact them that the boat had been located. They were happy that I let them know where the boat was located. I am trying to buy it back from the insurance company before they send it to auction. (most stolen boats are sent off to auction after they are recovered. (Either IIA or Copart). Hats off to the LaGrange police officer who dealt with the boat down there. He has been in contact with me. He even took the 2 Lowrances and 2 pedestal seats off so they would not be stolen at the tow company lot. Today I went to the Fayetteville police to see if they would do an investigation as that was where I purchased the boat last year. Found out I had to go to the Sheriff dept. They were no help. Told me the Forsyth county SO had to do the investigation. They did tell me to go to Fayette Magistrate court. Went there and was told 2 options. Pay $20 to have the guy summonded for selling stolen property (all he has to do is say I did not know it was stolen) or pay $103 to get him to come to court with the same end result. The justice system is so screwed up. If you end up buying a stolen item, you are screwed. The laws are against you to be made whole again.

3. Member
    I am pretty sure that buying or selling stolen property is a crime regardless if you know it to be stolen or not. If you bought from a dealer I am not sure how they would not be on the hook.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I am pretty sure that buying or selling stolen property is a crime regardless if you know it to be stolen or not. If you bought from a dealer I am not sure how they would not be on the hook.
    Maybe where you're from. Here you have to establish guilty knowledge before you can arrest or convict someone of a crime. If that were not the case the OP would be guilty of being in possession of stolen property even though he bought it in good faith, paid fair market value, and had no knowledge of it being stolen.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

5. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    If insurance paid off on it, it belongs to the insurance company now.
    My dad had an enclosed trailer stolen a few years ago. He collected insurance money (roughly $4,500). 4 years after it was stolen he got a call from the South Carolina State Patrol. Said they had his trailer. Whoever had bought it stolen was pulled over and the cop ran the vin number on the trailer and it came up as stolen. I drove over to the impound yard in South Carolina with the title and bill of sale. left with the trailer. Dad called the insurance company, they said give them $250. Dad sold the trailer a week later for $2,000.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    My dad had an enclosed trailer stolen a few years ago. He collected insurance money (roughly $4,500). 4 years after it was stolen he got a call from the South Carolina State Patrol. Said they had his trailer. Whoever had bought it stolen was pulled over and the cop ran the vin number on the trailer and it came up as stolen. I drove over to the impound yard in South Carolina with the title and bill of sale. left with the trailer. Dad called the insurance company, they said give them $250. Dad sold the trailer a week later for $2,000.
    That's great! Glad your dad came out good on the deal. The way it typically works in my experience is that after a claim is paid the insurance company sends a letter to the agency reporting the theft notifying them that item, if recovered, is the property of the insurance company. This letter is placed in the investigative case file. However the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) entry may not and probably won't be updated be updated which accounts for your dad being contacted.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I bought it from an individual.

8. Member
    I'd be asking the lender financing the boat a lot of questions. Their underwriting should have done a thorough enough lien search and purchase history on this boat before they approved the loan to at least see something was fishy.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger260 View Post
    I'd be asking the lender financing the boat a lot of questions. Their underwriting should have done a thorough enough lien search and purchase history on this boat before they approved the loan to at least see something was fishy.
    I doubt it matters, on a loan they are loaning you money, the item is just collateral.

10. Member
    Well, my boat went to Copart about 6 weeks ago and came up for auction today. I ran out of money at $8000 because you have to pay 20$, a $129 bidding fee, a $59 dollar lot fee and Georgia state tax. Some guy up in Kentucky got my boat. To make matters worse, my credit union advised me that they will not forgive the loan so I am making payments on someone elses boat. I will double up on them, save some money for a good down payment, and get a boat in a few years. See y'all then. Tried calling the detective again.....nothing. I used to respect law enforcement. Not so much now.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miatadude View Post
    Well, my boat went to Copart about 6 weeks ago and came up for auction today. I ran out of money at $8000 because you have to pay 20$, a $129 bidding fee, a $59 dollar lot fee and Georgia state tax. Some guy up in Kentucky got my boat. To make matters worse, my credit union advised me that they will not forgive the loan so I am making payments on someone elses boat. I will double up on them, save some money for a good down payment, and get a boat in a few years. See y'all then. Tried calling the detective again.....nothing. I used to respect law enforcement. Not so much now.
    Dude, this sucks so bad. How far up the bank chain have you went? I'd keep climbing the chain til you can't go anymore, I'm not saying they should forgive the loan, but they should work with you. Your insurance won't pay anything?

12. Member
    Lawyer up.

13. Member
    I will try go higher up with my credit union. I have spoken with a lawyer. Unless someone is charged, I can't take anyone to court. Actually, I can, but all the guy I bought the boat from has to say is "I didn't know it was stolen".

14. Banned
    Tried calling the detective again.....nothing. I used to respect law enforcement. Not so much now.
    To be blunt, they probably don't care. I do agree that they should at least return your call and tell you directly that you're sol, but often it doesn't work out that way.

15. Member
    I will try go higher up with my credit union. I have spoken with a lawyer. Unless someone is charged, I can't take anyone to court. Actually, I can, but all the guy I bought the boat from has to say is "I didn't know it was stolen".
    Well I imagine it'll be very hard to pursue criminal charges but I would think you'll be within your rights to sue this individual to recover the money, assuming the person isn't a complete deadbeat.

Surprised they haven't told you it's no longer a criminal matter but civil matter.

16. Member
    I am so sorry. I hope it all works out somehow.

17. Member
    You would think it would not be to difficult for detectives to trace back to the 1st one that sold the boat after it was stolen, there's you thieving criminal! I think I would at least talk to a lawyer, you shouldn't be the one that gets hosed with this, you did nothing wrong.

18. Member
    I thought that selling stolen property was a crime?

19. Member
    don't pay the note.....tell them to repossess the boat.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

20. #FRB
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck. And I get that you don't want to ruin your credit but depending on how much you still owe on the boat that sum of money might be worth taking the hit for a couple years while you build it back up IF you could ever fully pull out of this. My mom got back up to a respectable score after filing for bankruptcy (she had a hard way to go while being a single mother). Sadly it seems the laws are more in favor of the crooks than they are of the righteous. Been there done that and it stung something awful. Might just have to cut your losses in the best way you see fit and chalk this up as a lesson learned.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast