Rebuild question 2000 Optimax

Serial number- 0t166248
    i am in the process of rebuilding my motor. It’s a 2000 Optimax. I’m trying to decide what material ball hone I need to get. So I guess my question is, what material is the cylinder walls made out of? Is it some type of steel, cast iron, or coated aluminum?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Technically a form of cast iron (steel).

Be very careful with "ball" hones as they are easily hung in the ports, which can break the tool (or worse yet, damage the cylinder finish).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. BBC SPONSOR
    A ball hone does one thing well,it makes a fellow with no measuring equipment feel like he's got great cylinders.In reality,it simply cleans up the cylinder wall surface,and does'nt know about,or improve taper or out-of-round,just makes it look nice.The cylinders should be measured,then if you choose,honed with a proper truing hone like a sunnen AN,or a lisle.Probably better to let a machine shop used to blind cylinders hone it for you...or better yet,bore to the 1st oversize and replace the pistons along with the rings,not so much more money.A proper hone costs several hundred dollars.You can send it down...call if you like,Chris

^^^^^^^ and after the proper cylinder prep, hot pressure washing from every direction possible at least twice or run thru a parts washing before the pressure wash. I saw a co work do this and warned him advance how importent this and told him DO NOT HONE it as you do not have the equipment to propery clean it. It was back a monthe later with rings worn out and.025 cylinder wear. It only had .003 when he performed the ring & bering job
    Ball hone do not have the proper grits sizes and will put down the correct depth of groove in the cylinders wall, only the type of hone that Chris is referring to can do this, with a very experienced operator
    You are just begging for trouble using a ball hone
    Last edited by lpugh; 01-26-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh