sealing mounting holes

The mounting bracket holes for my old trolling motor and my new one do not match up, so I'm going to need to drill new holes for the new motor and fill and seal the old holes. I was thinking of buying some rubber stops to fill the holes and then putting silicone caulk over those to seal them. Good idea or not? If not, what have you guys done to fill and seal those holes? Thanks

2. Member
    I've always used Marine Tex or resin. Put some tape on the bottom of the hole, put some tape on the top, cut out the hole on the top tape, fill it up and let it cure...sand it flush

3. Member
    You need to be certain that the holes won’t match before drilling new ones. You don’t say which motors but some of them have extra holes to match the other brands. When I did have to seal holes,I put in a wad of paper towels,leaving about 1/2” of the hole open and then filled to flush with epoxy.

4. Member
    I would see if you could drill some new holes in the TM bracket first.

5. Member
    Thanks for the great suggestions! I think I’ll either tape the bottom and top, cut the hole and then fill with epoxy or look at drilling new holes in the bracket. I went from a 24V Motorguide Digital Tour to a 36V Fortrex and I can only get one hole to match up, but when I match that hole up I don’t like where the bracket is positioned.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    You need to be certain that the holes won’t match before drilling new ones. You don’t say which motors but some of them have extra holes to match the other brands. When I did have to seal holes,I put in a wad of paper towels,leaving about 1/2” of the hole open and then filled to flush with epoxy.
    That or drill the mount. Hard to undrill holes in the boat, which costs more than the motor.

7. Member
    The Fortrex mount has 2 sets of mounting holes. You have to take the plastic sides off the mount to see the other set. If the factory holes were used on the MotorGuide, they will match up with the Fortrex.

I changed from a Motor Guide Tour to an Ultrex and used the same holes. The Fortrex has the same hole pattern as the Ultrex.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 7 of the User Manual.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    I really appreciate all the helpful info. I took the sides off the Fortrex and found the additional mounting holes. I was able to use them and things lined up. Got it attached to the boat and everything is nice and solid. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lrrsme View Post
    I would see if you could drill some new holes in the TM bracket first.
    This one first choice
    Thank You Leon Pugh