Thread: Mercury 225 EFI

Question Mercury 225 EFI

General question that I can't post on the Mercury forum due to not having the engine serial number and such.
    With proper care, annual service, fresh water use only, and Mercury Premium Plus oil being used, what would you say would be the average life expectancy, in hours, of this engine?
    My nephew is looking at one on a 2002 Ranger that has 900 hours.

2. Banned
    I have a 2001. Bought it new. It probably has a couple thousand hours on it. Never had a problem. I abuse it pretty hard

They are great engines, that are very reliable. I'm sure as most know, they love fuel and will run. With proper maintenance they can last forever. However, with any engine it's not if they'll blow, but when they'll blow. I'd say with 900 hours on it, that it's a good one.

4. Banned
    Buy it, have the proper maintenance done along with fuel injectors cleaning/calibration, and go fish it will last.

Had a 225 EFI '98. It was a great motor! Sold it to a buddy and is still going strong.

Great engines. I ran one for 13 years and the only thinks I did we’re plugs, fuel filter and a couple trim relays. If it hasn’t been abused, I’d feel better about it than any Optimax.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

7. Banned
    Super easy to work on also. My 98 had 700 hrs on it and would push my basscat jag for 70mph. The only issue is they run super rich. I had to change plugs twice last year. Odds are that's why they last.

8. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Coworker of mine has one. He runs the hell out of it. It probably has eclipsed the 1000hr. mark. Good motor for sure, but at WOT it creates a whirlpool in the gas tank!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

One on my current boat right now has around 550 hours on it and going strong. They like the fuel though.

10. Member
    2k plus hours on mine and still ticking strong. I can't pass a gas pump but that's what a boat is for is burning money.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite203 View Post
    2k plus hours on mine and still ticking strong. I can't pass a gas pump but that's what a boat is for is burning money.
    You can watch the gauge go down, no joke.

I also had to pull my tuner and remove the carbon. Not a hard job but it was nasty! There was only a few holes open before I cleaned them out. The motor sounded like a beast after that.
    I would also decarb that motor a couple times a year.

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    2000 225EFI on a 2000 Gambler...I'm into the thousands of hours.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I ran a 2001 for 10 years. It was rock solid and I put almost 900 hours on it. It was running strong when I sold it. It never gave me any trouble

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    that thing could easily go a few thousand more hours...........
    or it could blow up tomorrow .......

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

15. Banned
    Best motor made and also the most thirsty motor made.

16. Member
    It's a shame they can't make the new motors as good as the EFI's were.

I had one a a 22 foot bay boat. Thing ran like a clock. Good thing the boat had a 65 gallon tank Loved the growl of that engine at idle too.