Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

A couple of "Winners" I've seen this past week...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    -Check your steering system for proper operation (and address any WEAR problems BEFORE they become dangerous)

-Remember to clean that Air Compressor Cooling Strainer as part of your Regular Maintenance

-Gearcase selection is VERY important. Don't transplant a G2-TM to an engine that was not originally equipped with one.

-Remember to check Engine Fasteners, Steering Fasteners, and Jackplate Fasteners!

All of these examples have been on the water like this...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Thanks for the heads up....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Was this ALL on the SAME boat?

5. Member
    Wow is that bad!!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Was this ALL on the SAME boat?
    Steering and Strainer were from the same boat.

Jackplate and Gearcase were from another boat.

7. Member
    if I ever figure out how to post pics im gonna blow yall mind with the stuff I see,,,,, other day one with FLEX SEAL bottom of a RANGER now mind you " I just don't have time to leave it for repairs"
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Well, the commercial showed them putting a boat back together with it, so surely that's good enough, right?

9. Member
    Just a honest "rookie" question I rekon .. u said wrong gear case for the motor? Wouldnt it just b diffrent gear ratio as long as it bolts up? Thanks

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc2.4 View Post
    Just a honest "rookie" question I rekon .. u said wrong gear case for the motor? Wouldnt it just b diffrent gear ratio as long as it bolts up? Thanks
    Good question, Mr. Proctor.

Gear ratio is the same/right. There's a service bulletin that discusses the importance of not installing a Gen-2 Torquemaster on an engine that was not originally equipped with that gearcase (for safety reasons).

There's even a rather bold warning tag attached to new/replacement Gen-2 Gearcases (as well):

Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-25-2020 at 11:56 AM.

11. Member
    So if you were to replace the tilt/trim with the newer version you could run a gen II?
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabslobberer View Post
    So if you were to replace the tilt/trim with the newer version you could run a gen II?
    Yes, IF the trim unit was also swapped out.
    The correct trim unit has the blue cap.

WOW! Amazing that some lets say let 'er rip! Then when something bad happens they plead ignorant!

I never understood when I was working on cars for a living several times they would bring in their ride for work and do a bunch of repair work and maintenance and the metal brake pad backing plate has been in the rotors for a while. Would explain that to them and they would okay all the work except for the brakes. More then a few times this happened. I guess as long as it stops they weren't worried about it. FREAKIN NUTS!!!!!

I want to see the puppy! Show us the puppy Don!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

14. Member
    I hope it wasnt my buddies triton I sent you

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No... haven't got his in just yet.

Wow! Thanks for posting, Don. It’s amazing how some boats are allowed to get to that shape!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs