Thread: Turtle creek

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Turtle creek

Anyone been lately?

2. Member
    I'm not sure, but I don't believe it is open yet. I think it opens sometime mid-February.

3. Member
    Oh ok. Thanks. I’ve never been but heard it’s a good place to cure the winter time blues if you want to get out

4. Member
    Watch the wind if on it.

It'll open late February, after waterfowl seasons are out. Still a lot of fish in it, but fishes quite a bit tougher with all the pressure it gets anymore. The warm water end is limited with good water, and gets hit pretty hard. Definitely watch the wind, they shut it down when winds average 20mph for 2 min, but that takes a heck of a wind to get to that. Anything that is mostly north or south and forecasted to be 15 mph + I'd stay away. Be careful also, as the south end where you launch is still fairly cold water. It may be open water and warmer for the fish, but if you fall out you could be in trouble in a hurry. It's a great place to just get fishing bug off for a little bit though.

6. Member
    Scheduled to open Feb 10th. Closer to date you can call them at 812 356-4744 to make sure and yes early in the season it gets crowded especially on the weekends.

I just read that the Hoosier Energy plant a Merom is going to close in a couple years. It will be interesting to see what becomes of TC after that.

My buddy's Dad worked there and would take us to the employee only area (in-take). We caught 100's of fish there and it was at that time that I got schooled on how to use an electric fillet knife.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    I just read that the Hoosier Energy plant a Merom is going to close in a couple years. It will be interesting to see what becomes of TC after that.

My buddy's Dad worked there and would take us to the employee only area (in-take). We caught 100's of fish there and it was at that time that I got schooled on how to use an electric fillet knife.
    was his name Ward by any chance

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post

Hopefully the state buys it....and it stays public

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    was his name Ward by any chance
    Nope, Denny

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    Hopefully the state buys it....and it stays public
    Without the hot water discharge I don think it will be relevant very long. The state will just stock it with Hybrid and Walleye.

12. Member
    Weed growth will explode. It’s a catfish and bass lake now. Indiana Catfish has a tourney there now. When they sprayed the weeds down they lost the gills and crappie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Without the hot water discharge I don think it will be relevant very long. The state will just stock it with Hybrid and Walleye.
    Was an incredible lake when the weeds covered half the lake. Granted it was also a new lake, but the bass were footballs and the gills and crappies were worth a trip themselves. That was before they let out a ton of hot water, so could see it being a good lake again without the discharge. The smaller lakes in that area were always good fishing, other than maybe sullivan, but that place was hammered with pressure for a 400 acre lake.

First time I went, maybe 1984 or 1985, weeds went out to 200 yards or more. Moss boss was the most popular bait there by far. I know it will never be what it was, but even half of what it was would make it a great lake to fish.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

14. Member
    I remember my dad and I went there in the late 90s after hearing so much about how great it was. I couldn't sleep the night before. We didn't do all that great that day. I remember having trouble with the wind since the trolling motor on my first boat was not great. I think we caught a few small fish but nothing like I was hoping. I'm sure they were there though. I always wanted to go back. That's interesting news about the power plant. I hope it is still managed to be a good fishery for years to come. There is nothing that can be done about fishing pressure. But killing the weeds is sad to see.

15. Member
    back in the day i used a 3/4 gold weedless spoon with a #11 pork on it,it was a killer,when they blowed up on it they got it instead of knocking it in the air,when i come to a pocket i would let it fludder down in it,i think i was the only one using that lure and style,i live a 100 miles from tc and i would go 3 times a week

Been some guys bank fishing it already and doing pretty well.

17. Member
    They must be plant employees

18. Member
    Went today as it was opening day after waterfowl season, Come to find out the hard way but the plant has not been running for the past three

weeks according to the security guard. Water temp was 38-39 degrees and about 6” clarity�� Call ahead to make sure they are running the plant help

your chances

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierpantera View Post
    Went today as it was opening day after waterfowl season, Come to find out the hard way but the plant has not been running for the past three

weeks according to the security guard. Water temp was 38-39 degrees and about 6” clarity�� Call ahead to make sure they are running the plant help

your chances
    Thanks for the info. Was wanting to head down that way by the end of the month. Did pretty good there last year in August ( 13 keepers, 9 were around 3lb range and lost 2 nice ones )
    Veteran 82nd Airborne Division " ALL THE WAY "

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sk2000 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Was wanting to head down that way by the end of the month. Did pretty good there last year in August ( 13 keepers, 9 were around 3lb range and lost 2 nice ones )
    Those are some skinny 20" keepers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast