Thread: Saltwater?

Saltwater?

Does anyone know of a forum that has saltwater images? I would like to see what these things can do with fish the size of tarpon or large redfish. I have Ram Mounts of my bay boat so I can move all my sounders and ducer sticks over to it but haven't had that boat in the water for a while. Seams like I only fish crappie and bass anymore since buying a new bass boat. Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI+ G3N w/Mega 360 mounted of Fishing Specialties 360 Mount
    Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI G2N
    Garmin GPSMAP 1042 XSV w/LiveScope mounted on Fishing Specialties Bowducer Assy
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI+ G3N
    Garmin GPSMap 922
    Humminbird PiranaMAX for high speed depth readings

The first commercial video of Livescope was with tarpon, then came Bill Dance.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The first commercial video of Livescope was with tarpon, then came Bill Dance.
    Ya Wayne I have watched a few commercial saltwater videos and they just made me want to see more. I know this is a Bass Boat forum but there must be others using these sounders in saltwater. Do you remember the Fishing Buddy I think it was called? I have tried several long ago and used to sit anchored and aiming it at the shore or oyster bar and could see redfish swimming between me and shore. At the time I thought that was awesome. Look how far we have come in not that many years. Btw I still have that sounder. Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Garmin GPSMap 922

Quote Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
    Ya Wayne I have watched a few commercial saltwater videos and they just made me want to see more. I know this is a Bass Boat forum but there must be others using these sounders in saltwater. Do you remember the Fishing Buddy I think it was called? I have tried several long ago and used to sit anchored and aiming it at the shore or oyster bar and could see redfish swimming between me and shore. At the time I thought that was awesome. Look how far we have come in not that many years. Btw I still have that sounder. Don
    I had the better version of SideFinder, a Bottom Line Sidefinder that had two transducers. One for the bottom of the trolling motor and one for the side of the trolling motor. It was not the Fishing Buddy style.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333272356582
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I remember that one. I have always been interested in these things every since I build my first Heath Kit flasher. My first color unit was a commercial CRT model. The wife picked me up a paper graft at a yard sale but it didn't take me long to decide why the guy was selling it. I have tried to get regular sounders to look side ways and have a draw full of old Humminbird and Garmin sounders. So when these new units came a long I have went over board on loading my boat with them. Watched a Youtube video where a guy had a 48" display at the helm and one in the cockpit of his sportsfishing boat hooked to his sounders and video cameras. Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Garmin GPSMap 922

6. Member
    Maybe when they come out with a gen 4, they'll come with a hdmi out and we can all have a 60" flat screen on the boat......

The XX8 models have a composite video-out and the ONIX has HDMI video-out.

This is when I had a 24" TV on the wall above my computer connected to the 1198c SI Combo to the right of the computer via the VC-1 cable:

Found a video of doing that on a boat:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C61B&FORM=VIRE
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The XX8 models have a composite video-out and the ONIX has HDMI video-out.

This is when I had a 24" TV on the wall above my computer connected to the 1198c SI Combo to the right of the computer via the VC-1 cable:

Found a video of doing that on a boat:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C61B&FORM=VIRE
    Nice setup. I have a 52" 4K TV for a display with a Humminbird mount on the left and a large IPad under it and a Garmin mount to the right. Didn't know about running video from the bird to the display. I run video from a Garmin VIRB Ultra camera on the boat. Would like to get it to the HBs also.
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Garmin GPSMap 922

Quote Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
    Nice setup. I have a 52" 4K TV for a display with a Humminbird mount on the left and a large IPad under it and a Garmin mount to the right. Didn't know about running video from the bird to the display. I run video from a Garmin VIRB Ultra camera on the boat. Would like to get it to the HBs also.
    One thing I found when experimenting with a remote display is the sunlight readability of that display. One that is visible is called High Bright and cost almost as much as a sonar unit self, so I never went as far as that video. Just got another unit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Thanks Wayne but I shouldn't have watched that video I have bunches is computer displays in the junk room. I had a 18" display and a mini PC on my Mako offshore boat and the GPS and a map program as it was before these chart plotters became common. I took a beating running offshore but had no problems. Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Garmin GPSMap 922