8610xsv versus Echomap Plus series

Does anyone have any side by side comparisons of an 8600 series versus a 73 or 93 SV+ for clarity and definition with livescope?

I want to see more detail when using my livescope but can't find anything that compares the two side by side. I know the screen resolutions are 1920x1200 vs 400x800 but I would really like to see them side by side to show the difference.

Thanks in advance

2. Member
    106sv works very well
    In between those price extremes

3. Member
    Close to impossible to get a true comparison. They won't network with each other so you can't get the same image on both screens at the same time. There are differences in how they do screenshots. Using is cellphone to make a picture is usually not very clear. I can show the LVS on an 8616, 1242 and 942 at the same time. Most tend to compare the resolutions. For these three that would be, 1920x1200, 1280x800 and 1024x600. Before I was using these units I was using 7610's 1280x800. My opinion is to not make so much over the resolution. You want a better LVS display, get a bigger screen. On a 9 inch display I generally limit the range to 70 ft. On the 8616 frequently I will set it to 120 ft and more. I am 70 years old and wear glasses. On the 8616, for my current walleye fishing, I have the range and depth set to 120 ft and I can see the fish. The tuning is a bit finicky but it works well. You can forget those ranges on a 9 inch unit. The fish just get too small.

Just realized I didn't answer your question. You want to see better detail. The 8610 has the best resolution Garmin offers. I don't have one and have my doubts that it can improve the detail much. What I base this on is not in the quality of the resolution but what detail is provided via the LVS-GLS10. When I do the zoom, 2x is usually pretty good, 4x starts getting blurry. So I would say there is more there to be seen on a bigger screen with better resolution. Exactly how much, I don't know. This is not something I am expert on. Others may have better advice or more important actual experience comparing the two units you named. My experience would make me lean going to a 12 inch unit because of the size over the 10 inch unit with the better resolution.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.