Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Novice bass boat buyer

I have had a welded 14' aluminum boat with 15hp Merc rigged for 2-man bass fishing for 15 years, however now that I have moved back closer to home (close to Kentucky Lake), I am in the market for a bass boat-- ready to pull the trigger on the right one. I have $30K budgeted (boat price, not counting about tax, insurance, etc). Another limitation is that it needs to fit in my garage (total setup no more than 21'2" long [want a swing-away trailer tongue], and no more than 102-103 inches wide). Those are the necessary requirements to start with. Want fiberglass, although not a tournament fisherman. Need 50-55 mph for Kentucky Lake. Also may want to pull a kid on a tube during summer afternoons. Also looking for something that will have lasting power, i.e., not give me any headaches for a few years. I hope to keep this boat for a good while. I understand that there are trolling motors, electronics, other considerations for a boat that affect price, however for the below, just want to get some thoughts from the pros on these!

Here are the (used) boats I have seen/considered, want to get some opinions:

2008 BeeLine with 175 hp Yamaha (150 hours). Pros: Well within budget. Motor likely to be in good shape. Cons: Worried about parts/service for a brand not made anymore.

Triton 189TRX (several). No specific boat, just some that are right at that $30K range, and not too old.

2005 Triton TR186. Merc 150XR6, Fourtex TM, Lowrance electronics, new batteries-- and that is the only info given in the ad. He has "no idea how many hours are on the motor", but this option is considerably cheaper than the two above. Kind of concerned about this one, although cheap.

Called a dealer today to pick his brain, and he just about sold me on a new Vexus aluminum 18-19', however by the time it was built online... it was $40K (out of my price range).

Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    "not give me any headaches for a few years"

I don't know of any boat that fits this description unless you are only talking about the structure of the boat. Every component from the prop on the outboard to the trolling motor can break or malfunction at a moments notice.

I would buy a boat that leaves you with enough money to fix at a moments notice. I have a very good friend with a blown powerhead that doesn't fish much at all anymore because he can't afford to fix his engine due to the payment. Can't trade a boat with a blown power head for very much and it is also hard to sell.

That said, I would do one of two things:
    1) If you are mechanically inclined buy whatever boats suits your taste.
    2) If you are not mechanically inclined buy a boat from the best dealer you can find. A dealer that can support you will be worth much more than a specific boat model.

The newer boats you are looking at probably have very similar construction and layouts. Accessories are going to be changing very fast for the rest of your life and what is usable vs what is cutting edge will soon be an every year problem.

I don't have any direct experience with Tritons or BeeLine boats.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eh2000 View Post

I don't know of any boat that fits this description unless you are only talking about the structure of the boat. Every component from the prop on the outboard to the trolling motor can break or malfunction at a moments notice.

I would buy a boat that leaves you with enough money to fix at a moments notice. I have a very good friend with a blown powerhead that doesn't fish much at all anymore because he can't afford to fix his engine due to the payment. Can't trade a boat with a blown power head for very much and it is also hard to sell.

2) If you are not mechanically inclined buy a boat from the best dealer you can find. A dealer that can support you will be worth much more than a specific boat model.

The newer boats you are looking at probably have very similar construction and layouts. Accessories are going to be changing very fast for the rest of your life and what is usable vs what is cutting edge will soon be an every year problem.

I should have said "not give me MANY headaches for a few years".. I am expecting some maintenance. Just trying to avoid the big ones. I will be able to pay all upfront, so payments not an issue. Somewhat mechanically inclined, but certainly not an outboard mechanic. Thanks for the advice on finding a good dealer!

With the Asian carp having such an impact on KY lake you may be able to pick up a nice used rig as some locals will lose interest
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

5. Member
    Was in nearly the same situation as you about 5 years ago...had a helluva bass fishing machine in my 14ft '67 Alumacraft with a floor and casting deck built into it and a 9.9 Merc...settled on my (at the time) 3 yr old Stratos 189 VLO with 150 Pro XS (only 9 hrs on motor) for a purchase price of $25K...It was my first bass boat and began fishing with a club two years later...True happiness ensued...Love the big front casting deck and very stable ride (a definite learning curve for sure though) and the Merc has been pretty flawless with just a minor $250 repair to this point...boat is an 18'9" but I cannot confirm under 21'2...but I CAN tell you be sure your measurements are not just from "specs"...I did that only to get it home, go to close the garage door and it come down on the extra inches the TROLLING MOTOR stuck past what should have been the furthest protruding part of the bow!! I was DEVASTATED!! Had a new, wider garage door installed on the garage prior and now the freaking thing is too long??!! After a few minutes of muttering cuss words and my wife turning to head into the house muttering "This is YOUR problem" I figured out that by flipping the head of the trolling motor 180 that it WOULD clear by a whole 2-3 inches!! PHEW!! So I wish you the best in your search and thought I'd let you know that a little older Stratos might fit your needs

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

6. Member
    Just know that it’s very likely you will get some else’s headaches. There is a reason they are selling, and it’s probably the outboard
    Last edited by BigFishSteve; 01-24-2020 at 07:10 AM. Reason: typos

7. Member
    If you can get a Triton 189TRX for 30k... Do it. They along with the 18TRX are Triton's newest 18ft models. Width will not be an issue. The length with the swing tongue might be. They are solid boats. I would also look at a newer 18ft Nitro or a couple year old 18 ft Skeeter. Aluminum is also an option, not sure how they would be pulling someone, they are much lighter then fiberglass rigs. Also Kentucky lake get rough so keep that in mind.
    Brad Krone

8. Member
    SEark71, sent you an message

9. Member
    Yeah if you can find a 189TRX in good shape that is probably the best play, or maybe a Nitro Z18 or something. Should be able to get into one under 30 that is around the 2014-2015 age and with probably less than 100 hours on the engine. As long as you aren't looking for more than 55mph, the 150 will get it done.
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

10. Member
    The 2008 Bee Line would have been built by Phoenix if I'm not mistaken, it may still be covered by them not sure what the warranty on those boats was. Even if it's not I wouldn't ever worry too much about parts or service on a hull or anything on the hull. There's replacement parts available for just about anything you'd need.

I'd take a look at that one personally.

11. Member
    I've never owned a Triton, but I've seen several of the 189TRX in my area and they look like darn nice rigs. I think I would be tempted to take a serious look at one, and despite what some may think Nitro makes some darn nice rigs in that same size/price range. Any boat with this size and power will be a considerable step up from your old rig. I would pay specials attention to the engine hours and the overall condition of the rig. When a guy advertises a boat with "new powerhead, all new seats, new carpet, etc. it generally means that he beat the crap out of it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eh2000 View Post

I know he said he didn't want aluminum but as far as your 'no boat won't give headaches' comment, I have had my RT since 2016 and have absolutely zero issues with anything...boat, motor, trailer, trolling motor, electronics, literally not 1 problem (probably just doomed myself). My advice would be to buy the newest you can afford if not having any issues is the main thing your after. Aluminum is also the king of "go fishing and forget it". Hull blisters could be a very expensive headache for you in that price range in a used boat
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

13. Member
    Look around for a leftover 18 or 19 glass boat and don’t be afraid to travel. Triton and Nitros ar good boats. Here is a nice boat in your budget, new boats have warranty and some peace of mind, because no one wants to spend 30k on a piece of junk.

https://www.annasmarinecenter.com/bo...ginia-7018902/

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerdog View Post
    Look around for a leftover 18 or 19 glass boat and don’t be afraid to travel. Triton and Nitros ar good boats. Here is a nice boat in your budget, new boats have warranty and some peace of mind, because no one wants to spend 30k on a piece of junk.

https://www.annasmarinecenter.com/bo...ginia-7018902/
    That's a hell of a deal on the brand new boat in the link for $28k.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    Damn right it is. I keep looking at it for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    They will love it!!!!
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

17. Member
    Everyone has their opinions. Here's mine. Look for a 4 year old boat that appears to be well taken care of with more than 60 but less than 200 hours on the motor. If you can purchase it from a well known dealer, not a private sale, all the better. Brand of the boat and motor doesn't matter as much as these factors. Just my experience and it worked out really good on my first glass boat.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

18. Member
    Thank everyone for the comments! What a great forum. Update:

--The Beeline is too long anyway. That is good, as I was not comfortable with the brand.

--Going to look at a 2014 Skeeter with 175hp Yamaha on Sunday. It is going to be a tight fit, I plan to measure myself.

--Saw a 2015 Triton 18' for $25K, with 64 hours on 2-stroke Merc. Boat looks brand new with recent electronics and Spotlock TM. Trolling motor sticks out too much, way too long. I was ready to go get this one tomorrow. That sucks.

Still shopping! Should find something eventually, All good advice above.

19. Banned
    I would not be to scared of any boat brand as long as the hull is in good shape. Other than the structural part of the boat (hull, lids, consoles) there is very little boat specific stuff. A good example are live well pumps. There are three or four brands pretty much everyone uses (Rule,Attwood,Tsunami) so anything will be available (same for bilge pumps). Almost everyone uses "Flow-Rite" fittings and valves for the plumbing. Same for things like latches and hydro cylinders for the compartments. They all buy pretty common parts to use, some better than others but all avail. Most of the switches are generic especially when it comes to finding something the same size and config. You may have a rocker switch that goes bad, you will be able to find a replacement for the existing spot but the label may not be there or a little diff font.

The most expensive part of your boat is going to be the motor as long as you give it all good care. Even if you never have issues you have maint like water pumps. If it is 2 stroke then oil and whatever chemical cocktail people recommend you add for a specific motor. On the 4 strokes the tune ups and oil changes can be a little pricey if done at the shop.

On any of them take a look at the wiring/wiring harness under the console and in the rear access. Some folk that have no business messing with boat wiring will do some crazy stuff that can come back to bite you.

The 2008 Yami 175 is a good motor (the bigger HPDI's some have had issue with). That should be an HPDI with a silver wing on top of the hood where the 200s and bigger are all dark/black. I worked in a Yami shop for a few yhears and never saw a 175 in there for anything but service.

Depends on the $ diff of course but if the BeeLine is cheaper you can get a lot of stuff done for the $ you save if needed or spend it on electronics.
    Last edited by imbatman; 01-29-2020 at 06:10 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEark71 View Post
    Thank everyone for the comments! What a great forum. Update:

--The Beeline is too long anyway. That is good, as I was not comfortable with the brand.

--Going to look at a 2014 Skeeter with 175hp Yamaha on Sunday. It is going to be a tight fit, I plan to measure myself.

--Saw a 2015 Triton 18' for $25K, with 64 hours on 2-stroke Merc. Boat looks brand new with recent electronics and Spotlock TM. Trolling motor sticks out too much, way too long. I was ready to go get this one tomorrow. That sucks.

Still shopping! Should find something eventually, All good advice above.
    Could you shoot me a PM with the details on where you saw the Beeline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast