Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ghost heading sensor location?

Installed Ghost..looking for suggestions/tips for best location to install Ghost puck ?

Have Basscat, so if anyone is familiar with the Basscat? They have an area on the bow with a recessed area...wondering if I can mount the puck in there, any danger mounting it near a "Kong" mount? I believe it is made out of Aluminum..

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by MRichard2016; 01-23-2020 at 05:46 PM.
    Basscat P4

2. Member
    I am going through the same process; my suggestion would be to do what I do, use duct tape to temporarily try any location you are considering. I would try your recessed spot first by taping it in place, and then testing it on the water. The Kong if aluminum should not be a problem as you noted. Tape first, drill later.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    I mounted mine on the port side directly under the arm of the mount. While deployed it is not near any metal and while stowed, I don’t need the heading sensor. I thought about putting it on the starboard side but thought I’d end up stepping on it while lunching and retrieving.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    I mounted mine on the port side directly under the arm of the mount. While deployed it is not near any metal and while stowed, I don’t need the heading sensor. I thought about putting it on the starboard side but thought I’d end up stepping on it while lunching and retrieving.

NoCAL
    Thanks NoCal...isnt the whole mount metal? How close can we install to any metal..thought I had read 2'? I have a spot right under the arm as well but thought it couldnt be installed that close which would be within 6" or less
    Basscat P4

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    I am going through the same process; my suggestion would be to do what I do, use duct tape to temporarily try any location you are considering. I would try your recessed spot first by taping it in place, and then testing it on the water. The Kong if aluminum should not be a problem as you noted. Tape first, drill later.
    Thanks Marc.
    Basscat P4

6. Banned
    I have mine about 4” from the mount and it’s working good. I previously had it sitting against a SS clamshell cover and the results were insane, thing would go nuts on spotlock.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I have mine about 4” from the mount and it’s working good. I previously had it sitting against a SS clamshell cover and the results were insane, thing would go nuts on spotlock.
    Good to hear...Thanks!

I will try "Marc's" suggestion on the tape first and then try "NoCal's" suggestion under the arm of mount

Be abit before that happens with winter and frozen water with us here on the eastcoast..but nothing like getting the ball rolling!
    Basscat P4

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRichard2016 View Post
    Thanks NoCal...isnt the whole mount metal? How close can we install to any metal..thought I had read 2'? I have a spot right under the arm as well but thought it couldnt be installed that close which would be within 6" or less
    The mount is metal but when the motor is deployed, it is about 6" away from the heading sensor.

NoCAL
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    The mount is metal but when the motor is deployed, it is about 6" away from the heading sensor.

NoCAL
    Thanks NoCal !
    Basscat P4

10. Member
    IMG_8889.jpgThis has worked perfect, it is just under the front graph, no interference according to the gause meter and on the water has been flawless.. the sirius module on side also does not create any interfierencs.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

Thanks ammdrew!
    Basscat P4

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
    IMG_8889.jpgThis has worked perfect, it is just under the front graph, no interference according to the gause meter and on the water has been flawless.. the sirius module on side also does not create any interfierencs.

Is that a metal plate that you have it mounted on?

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post

I was wondering if they could be mounted at an angle, apparently so!

14. Member
    20200126_165440.jpg
    Mounted on a Legend V20 on deck under mount when stowed....works perfectly.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheye216 View Post
    Is that a metal plate that you have it mounted on?
    No it is the plastic plate on the front of the z series. The hds mount is alloy BBC so no magnetic interference.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

16. Member
    I too recently took my new Ghost Unit out to calibrate it. Mounted it directly behind the graph. And it did not like that spot. I am probably about 8" away from the trolling motors shock. I read in the installation directions that they recommend 12"and farther. But I was hoping for the miracle due to I like the clean look. But then I started to think. I mounted the TLC-1 down with Stainless Steel Screws. So I am guessing that is not a promising mix.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilovich View Post
    I too recently took my new Ghost Unit out to calibrate it. Mounted it directly behind the graph. And it did not like that spot. I am probably about 8" away from the trolling motors shock. I read in the installation directions that they recommend 12"and farther. But I was hoping for the miracle due to I like the clean look. But then I started to think. I mounted the TLC-1 down with Stainless Steel Screws. So I am guessing that is not a promising mix.

yeah, try the aluminum screws that it came with first, that might be the fix.

Stainless shouldn't be magnetic?
    Basscat P4

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRichard2016 View Post
    Stainless shouldn't be magnetic?
    Depends on the grade of stainless used. Low grade stainless can be. Higher grade stainless won't be magnetic.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bvchamp View Post
    20200126_165440.jpg
    Mounted on a Legend V20 on deck under mount when stowed....works perfectly.
    Same place I did mine. Works perfect.

NoCAL
    2B112175

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast