Mariner 115 hp ridiculously hard to start first time on water

OK, I have a 1998 mariner 115 hp that runs great. The issue I have is that the first time I crank it at the beginning of the day, I can't seem to get it to fire. It takes pumping the primer bulb, then if it hits but doesn't start, I have to climb to the back and pump the primer bulb again to get it to hit again.
    Once it does finally fire up, it won't have a single issue starting for the rest of the day. It only happens when the boat has been trailered. It will happen one day after the other like this. But like I said, as soon as the boat cranks the first time that morning, it's good to go until I put it back on the trailer.
    Any suggestions?

Serial number please
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Sorry it took so long. the serial is

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    0G652427 more than likely.

Try this for COLD STARTS:

-Engine at LEVEL trim

-Shifter in NEUTRAL, throttle at IDLE POSITION

-Pump bulb FIRM.

-Key ON, push key in for 10 seconds (One Thousand and One, One thousand and two... you get the drift)

-Release key back OUT and turn to the START position

-When engine starts, be prepared to "bump" the key in if the engine begins to sputter out.

-Repeat above steps from the beginning if engine fails to start.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank you for the response. I’ll try this, but it just started having the issue about 6 months ago. Could something have changed that wiuld cause the first start of the day to be so difficult all of a sudden?

6. Member
    make sure your primmer (choke/enrichner) is working listen for click at electric valve when choke is pushed with key on
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    I had a suzuki that got hard to start after I sprayed motor down with a protectant since I fish in salt water. I took the airbox off and noticed the choke wasn't closed all the way. I cleaned the moving parts so it would close all the way and it was back to starting easy again. If you don't have a choke system this won't help you. If you have done anything to motor go back and check everything. Best of luck

8. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    bad fuel line/bulb

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I agree- fuel line, bulb, filter or even pulse fuel pump (anything in the supply side of the system)... or as Joe mentioned, enrichment solenoid not working properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    OK. I just checked and there’s no noticable noise of anykind at the enrichner when the choke is pressed in. Do they always make a noise? It seems like the choke does work a little to help keep it running when it first does catch, but that may be my imagination.

11. Member
    And thank you to everyone for offering their time an knowledge. I really appreciate the help.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dowhatta View Post
    OK. I just checked and there’s no noticable noise of anykind at the enrichner when the choke is pressed in. Do they always make a noise? It seems like the choke does work a little to help keep it running when it first does catch, but that may be my imagination.
    Enrichner should open when activated. You can test to make sure it's CLOSED normally, and OPEN when you push key in.

May not make a noise... but should open.

13. Member
    also I have seen some mtrs with degraded hoses to enrichner restricting fuel flow, try this also when you pump bulb at first start up give it an extra hard squeeze when it gets firm this will override the crankcase boost fittings and supply fuel directly to number 3-4 cyls , boom we have ignition
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    Does his 115 motor have a thermal air valve for cold starts?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

15. Member
    doesnt have one on this mtr

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    make sure your primmer (choke/enrichner) is working listen for click at electric valve when choke is pushed with key on
    Thank you everyone for your advice!
    I finally got time to break out a multimeter and check. Sure enough, there was no voltage going to the enrichner from the wiring harness. I traced it back and found the wiring had pulled loose from the ignition switch, so the choke was never engaging to begin with. I wired it back up, followed the cold start procedure offered here and it fired up within the engine rolling over three times.
    thank you again for everyone’s help.

17. Member