Getting Ultrex steering cable to correctly on retract/deplo

Cannot get the cable on my new Ultex install to lay to suit me when retracting/deploying. My Fortrex would go over my graph and did not interfere with my bow nav light post. The Ultrex wants to catch on everything and when deployed is right in the way on the starboard side where a co angler would step into the boat off of a dock when picking them up. I have tried turning the foot pedal 1 turn in each direction and that really didn't help. I also did not like the look of the twist in the cable caused by turning the foot pedal. I guess the cable on the Ultrex is longer than the Fortrex and is probably the biggest cause of the problem.

Any tips on how the get the cable to behave? May have to go with a nav light in the rubrail and move graph.
    2015 Bullet 21XRS, 2021 250 Pro XS 4s - 3B014359

2. Member
    I unwrapped the twist that was in mine in order to get it to lie in a way that suites me. A few fellas have cut the vinyl cover off the control cables and then wrapped them in a soft jacket. They say that helps the best. Try just unplugging the foot pedal. Deploy the motor and then un wrapping it as far as it takes. You may wind up twisting it in the opposite direction before you find what works best for you. Then screw your pedal back down.

3. Member
    Ye sir, same kind of issue on my Allison. Mine wanted to lay across my fish finder screen. I removed the stiff plastic jacket, made a soft pliable cover with a full length zipper. Going to place my coaxial cables in the jacket. Also use a light elastic cord to hold the cable toward the TM bracket. See my post about replacing the jacket.
    Carte's Custom

4. Member
    I have ordered Troll Jacket from T&H Marine and going to give that a try. Should I go ahead and remove the stiff stock cover before installing?? Hopefully removing it won’t affect warranty coverage?

5. Member
    Removing the stiff plastic jacket does reduce the stiffness of the entire umbilical cable between the foot and trolling motor. There are two robust push pull cables, two heavy gauge power cables and one very small wire inside the hard plastic sheath. The greatest part of the umbilical being stiff is the two push pull cables. I estimate the hard plastic cover to contribute about 40% of the overall stiffness, specially when the temperature is below 60 degrees. I called Minn Kota service and ask if removing the sheath would void the warranty; They said no but if the wires or cables are damaged then there may be warranty issues if the damage pertained to the problem. I’m all ok with their reply, I cut mine off. If you have trouble getting a THMarine Troll Jacket I will send one of my sheaths for you to try.
    Carte's Custom

Mine was horrible. When I took the sheath off it was evident why mine was so bad. The cables looked like a cub scouts first attempt at braiding a bracelet.
    I took everything loose on the motor end and straightened it out. I then covered it with a heavy duty weave like a rod protector. Amazing how much better it lays.

7. Member
    Thanks for the offer Cartes. I did order a Troll Jacket which should arrive tomorrow. If it doesn't suit me I will sure give you a shout. Thanks.

I turned my foot peddle, i think to the left 1 or 2 turns until the cable laid in a lazy "S". Works really well and does not create a bind in the cable and moves freely. When deployed it stays along the TM mount too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer202 View Post
    I have ordered Troll Jacket from T&H Marine and going to give that a try. Should I go ahead and remove the stiff stock cover before installing?? Hopefully removing it won’t affect warranty coverage?
    You can get the same thing from Amazon for 7.99, just doesn't have TH Marine silk screened on it
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost