Kentucky Lake Mid March

So our club has moved our season opener from Table Rock to Kentucky Lake this year. We will be fishing out of Sportsman's the weekend of March 21st. With all of the talk of asain crap what can we expect from the lake that time of year? I am debating on skipping with everything I've been reading.

2. Member
    Mid March is a tough time to say exactly where the fish will be or how active they will be, it's just to far away to know what the weather trend will be. That said the lakes will most likely still be close to winter pool which, personally, I've always struggled to consistently catch fish at winter pool.

If the water temp is going up and there hasn't been a cold front I've had my best bags come from ditches leading into spawning pockets inside the larger bays. Close access to deeper water is a must so usually in the front 1/2 of the bay. Jerkbaits, slow rolled tandem white spinner baits and lipless cranks are my goto baits with a jig coming in for cleanup.

If you have a warming trend with rising water the backs of the creeks can be hot. The combination of rising water and warm water flowing in stacks the bass on any hard spot. If the waters high enough flipping buck brush can be the ticket. Cover the flats with lipless cranks and spinner baits.

Ky lake isn't what it used to be for sure but there are still fish to be cought. I'm from Louisville and I fun fish that lake quite a bit durring multiple day trips down there and can usually find a workable pattern to produce 13-16 lbs just fun fishing for a few hours a day. When I'm more serious 16-19 lbs with a few days that'll go either way poor or good.

What I've noticed is the lack of limit fillers now so where you used to be able to get a couple of 5 or 6 pounders and easily fill a limit with 2-3 pounders for 18 or so pounds, you now have to work much harder for the 2-3 pounders. The vast majority of the bass I've cought down there the past 2 years have either been 12" or 4+ pounds but last year I cought many more 14 1/2" bass then the previous so that's good news.

Sorry for the long winded post, hope it helps a little.

3. Member
    Id second the ditches. And transition banks. Love a spinnerbait. If you get bit on the spinnerbait, it usually a good one. If the water is clean enough, a jerkbait is awesome too.