Water Pressure on 90 hp Yamaha

Installed gauge last spring to monitor water pressure while adjusting jack plate height. At WOT it was 15-16 psi last spring. Took boat out first time this year, water pressure is higher now, 20-22 psi at WOT.
    Normal reading at idle is same as last spring, (5 psi) and increases with speed. Boat ran great this time out. Last spring I had set prop to pad with jack plate and I am happy where I am at.
    Should I be concerned that my water pressure is higher now than before? Is there a problem?
    Thanks!
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

It could be a poppet valve that is stuck closed. I think this would also likely be accompanied by overheating.

It could also be that it's cooler outside and/or the boat is loaded lighter and the motor is just able to run better/faster, though that's a pretty big jump in water pressure for the same boat/motor combo. Did you notice a difference in WOT RPMs or top speed from last year?

If you ran it for a while and it didn't want to overheat on you, it's a small enough difference that I *personally* wouldn't worry about it. Someone else may be along with a different answer though!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Ran all around lake, no overheating (buzzer), WOT is 5800 rpms @ 42 mph (gps), which is where I was last spring.
    I would say it ran better than it has since I started adjusting PTP distance. It was the coldest temps I've run the boat in.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by bulldog44; 01-23-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...