Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tournament Dos & Don'ts?

BBC, I'm looking to fish a tournament trail or two for the first time this year. I have zero expectations and really just want to do it for fun and to meet some other anglers in the area.

So, what are some tips & tricks you guys have for a new tournament fisherman? Any "must-have" gear? Any "unwritten" rules of courtesy?

If a competing boat is fishing down a shoreline, is it bad form to slide in behind him? I assume "cutting him off" by just running past him is considered poor form?

Really just looking to go out, have a good time and contribute to someone elses' prize pool without stepping on any toes or upsetting anyone. Any tips or advice you boys have for a new tourney fisherman would be appreciated!
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

2. Member
    Just go have fun and give the space you would want to others

Just do what you do when you fun fish .. And for the love of god don’t wear a jersey

4. Banned
    Treat everybody the way you would want to be treated. Speak to guys when you see them. It breaks the ice and people will perceive you as a friendly person and will be more likely to help you also. If someone if fishing somewhere that I have ran to and want to fish I will idle up to them and ask if they care if I fish along behind them or even on the other bank. I have yet to have someone say that they didn't want me there. Just try to have fun and not get stressed out. At the end of the day we all are going back to our normal jobs and nobody is getting rich. So just have some fun.

Don't hoot and holler when you get a good one, that just draws attention!
    If some asks where you caught them tell them "in the water on a artificial lure"

Go have fun!

Offer to chip in for gas money for the truck (if you're riding together) and boat. I usually dont worry about the truck gas often as I'd be going fishing anyways, but its always nice to offer.

Help your partner out with getting things ready in the morning. Help take off the cover, offer to back him in. Things like that. I've had guys stand off in the distance talking while I'm getting everything ready. Work together as a team basically, even if you're competing against him.

7. Member
    You will enjoy it a lot more if you make friends with as many of the other anglers as you can. When you decide to stop fishing tournaments you will still see your friends on the water from time to time. It's nice being on a first name basis with almost every angler on the lake.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

8. Member
    I’d suggest fishing a few as a coangler at first. It helps you to see how each tournament is run and gives you an opportunity to ask questions and get a feel if it’s something you’d like to continue As a boater.

Common sense goes a long way and just treat everyone with respect on and off the water. Humility, being humble and respectful goes a long way. We have one guy in my club who acts like KVD hold up fish looking for applause, and another who calls to complain at 5am three days after a tournament that he didn’t even fish in. Don’t be those guys
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    And don't let the "club crybaby" get to ya, either. Every club's got one. It's the guy who gets his butt handed to him on a plate every tournament and says "awww yeah, we're checkin' livewells next time. Mmmhmm, Mmhmmm..."

Enjoy!
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Treat everybody the way you would want to be treated. Speak to guys when you see them. It breaks the ice and people will perceive you as a friendly person and will be more likely to help you also. If someone if fishing somewhere that I have ran to and want to fish I will idle up to them and ask if they care if I fish along behind them or even on the other bank. I have yet to have someone say that they didn't want me there. Just try to have fun and not get stressed out. At the end of the day we all are going back to our normal jobs and nobody is getting rich. So just have some fun.
    Agree on all points. Great advice.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lobo View Post
    BBC, I'm looking to fish a tournament trail or two for the first time this year. I have zero expectations and really just want to do it for fun and to meet some other anglers in the area.

So, what are some tips & tricks you guys have for a new tournament fisherman? Any "must-have" gear? Any "unwritten" rules of courtesy?

If a competing boat is fishing down a shoreline, is it bad form to slide in behind him? I assume "cutting him off" by just running past him is considered poor form?

Really just looking to go out, have a good time and contribute to someone elses' prize pool without stepping on any toes or upsetting anyone. Any tips or advice you boys have for a new tourney fisherman would be appreciated!

Behind is usually fine as long as it's not right top on anyone, you are right about cutting people off.

As has been said, treat others as you would like to be treated and you will be fine. If you really want to know the deal first the co-angler idea is a good one but don't be afraid to jump in either, vast majority will be glad you are there. Guess the other big thing is be prepared at the ramp to drop and go quickly, no unstrapping when it's you turn.... have it done already etc Same goes for weigh in and pulling out. Nothing to worry about, just pay attention to those in from and follow their lead.

12. Member
    all you need to know is respect. It goes a long way. You will run into those that don't have it but don't play their game.

13. Member
    Do not leave headlights on when launching!...

Quote Originally Posted by birdman920 View Post
    Do not leave headlights on when launching!...
    This right here
    2B576211

Quote Originally Posted by bpettus1 View Post
    Just do what you do when you fun fish .. And for the love of god don’t wear a jersey
    What about contingency money? You got to dress up!
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

Rule #1- Have fun.
    Rule #2- Be safe and courteous, try and catch a few fish.
    Rule#3- See Rule #1.

Just go fishing

weight in at the end and BS with the group. Have fun.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

19. Member
    Lots of good advice above. Two items you may want to consider. The first is find a good local TBF or BASS club to join. If you find the right one they will be thrilled to have you and you will learn a lot in a lower pressure event. If you need help finding a club I can put you in touch with your state TBF president who'll take care of you. The second point is don't be afraid to tell folks your new to tournament events. I started fishing tournaments later in life, and while I thought my ineptitude made it obvious I was a beginner most guys were too competitive to notice. Once they learned I was a beginner their attitude changed completely and they became very helpful. We need new good guys in our sport so I'm sure we'll all try to help.

20. Banned
    When you're backing down the ramp hit your horn twice to get everyone's attention and then just let the boat float off the trailer, park the truck and hitch a ride at the dock to retrieve your boat. Great way to make friends... Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast