Bunks on 2003 trailer

I recently bought a Triton FS21 on a 2003 Triton trailer. The bunks are orginal with carpet with no nap left so the boat no lomger glides on and off the trailer very well. Bunk boards appear solid with no soft spotts. So do I recarpet orginal wood bunks, use plastic covers on bunks or repalce bunks with something?????? What's been your experience/

2. Banned
    When I re-do a trailer I always use new wood. For no more than the wood boards costs($30-$40 ?) It's much easier to just replace and re carpet with new boards than stripping the carpet and staples off the old ones.

Your old bunks may look solid/dry, but I'll bet the wood is wet mushy in/around the bolt holes.

3. Member
    What do you use for boards?

4. Member
    i agree on wood replacement pt should last longer you can buy marine grade carpet on line apply marine adhesive to wood and also staple with 3/8-1/2 inch stainless staples big help electric staple gun well worth it not a bad job and have a friend help you re install bunks with stainless hardware

New treated boards, SS lags and Gatorbacks !!! No carpet. No worries about blisters anymore.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    I will need to do this soon as well. I had planned to just have new boards with carpet on them ready to swap out at the boat ramp while the boat is beached.
    2008 Ranger Z520 DC 2016 Suzuki 250SS
    1997 Javelin 400TDC 1997 Johnson 200 Venom

I would replace the wood using KDAT lumber and replace all mounting hardware with new SS. If not for conditions at my local ramp I would use the newest version Gatorbak bunk covers. If you go with fabric covering there are options other than carpet. It can be found at trailer supply places and I have been using a product called Boat Blanket by Sailrite. These products retain much less water than carpet and the wet bunks are what can cause blisters in the gelcoat. Use Monel staples, they are what Arrow recommends. And a power stapler is highly recommended! Much easier on the hands and it frees a hand so you can pull the fabric tighter. Advantages of KDAT lumber: It will not shrink like regular PT lumber. PT lumber shrinks and fabric becomes loose which can cause wear in the fabric. You can paint KDAT. I do not wrap the fabric around the bottom of the bunk boards so it can drain better so I paint the boars to match the fabric. Also be prepared to address any rust issues on the trailer mounting plates. I like to add a plastic isolator (gasket) between the mounting plate and bunk board.

8. mikesxpress
    KDAT boards and Gatorbak XP covers. Clean installation and no moisture against the hull.

9. Member
    What is KDAT lumber and where do you get it?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post
    What is KDAT lumber and where do you get it?
    KDAT=kiln dried after treating, but I don't where you would buy it in your area. In South Florida I have to special order it from a wholesaler out of Miami. Try an online search maybe.

11. Member

bunks

Quote Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
    KDAT=kiln dried after treating, but I don't where you would buy it in your area. In South Florida I have to special order it from a wholesaler out of Miami. Try an online search maybe.
    just wondering could you use recycle type material ooutdoor funniture ect. in 2x4 or 2x 6 seems like i saw these on line

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    just wondering could you use recycle type material ooutdoor funniture ect. in 2x4 or 2x 6 seems like i saw these on line
    I don't know for certain but I could have used any type of wood I wanted and I used P.T.Pine and it has lasted for 10 years with no issues.

13. Member

bunks

Quote Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
    I don't know for certain but I could have used any type of wood I wanted and I used P.T.Pine and it has lasted for 10 years with no issues.
    2x4 pine from home depot marine glue and ss staples not counting carpet $ 150 max many grades bunk carpet on line ovetons good place for carpet