2003 Triton trailer with disc brakes that have never been used??????????

I bought a triton fs 21 in real good shape recently. The owner bought new and has always had trailer brakes blocked from use. I have a smaller vehicle now so this rig is pushing tow capacity. So I'm looking for suggestions on where to start to get functioning disc brakes. I would assume everything needs replaced for the hydraulic disc brakes to work again. I have seen ads where it maybe cheaper and easier to change over to electric brakes? So like I said I'm looking for reccomendatios on where to start. Thanks

2. Member
    Find out how he disabled them, reverse the step and try them out. If he opened a line you will have to bleed them. To test them try to back up a slight incline with the electric cable disconnected. If the trailer stops, they work. They will probably grab if the rotors are rusty at first.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Find out how he disabled them, reverse the step and try them out. If he opened a line you will have to bleed them. To test them try to back up a slight incline with the electric cable disconnected. If the trailer stops, they work. They will probably grab if the rotors are rusty at first.
    THIS^^^. Stay away from electric brakes on a boat trailer. They can easily turn into a PITA around water. If you can't find out or figure out how the brakes were disabled, most brake shops should be able to help you.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    They are disabled by a piece like a spacer that is in the slide area of the tongue. I'm afraid to try that they will lockup and than I'll have to fix.

Don't be scared.