Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About Garmin’s Preloaded Map Upgrade

We know an external map card SUCKS! Slows everything down!

We know the 2018 model of ECHOMAP Plus (with CV52) could not upgrade its INTERNAL preloaded map from G2 to G3. Garmin doesn’t explain why, but rumor is the 2018 model’s Internal memory is too small for G3.

I am curious, has anyone upgraded your 2019’s Echomap Plus’s internal map from G3 (v2019) to G3 (v2020), WITHOUT PUTTING IT ON AN EXTERNAL CARD? Thanks!

If yes, I am also wondering, when G4 map comes out, will we be able to upgrade it again (with $)? I suspect Garmin may have sized the units’ internal memory “perfectly” that we can’t, i.e, DESIGNED TO FAIL!

Garmin may use this as a strategy to push users to buy its new units.
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 01-23-2020 at 09:22 AM.

2. Member
    No mystery here and it's not an issue specific to Garmin. There are levels of features. A full feature unit is a GPSMAP unit. The top of the line right now is the 86xx series and yes, it will set up back $$$$. Don't want to pay that much and still get all the features and same performance. It doesn't happen. Pay less, you get less. What are those "less" things? features, functionality, memory, etc. Is that a strategy to push you to buy bigger, better, more? Sure it is. Nothing new.

What we are seeing each year though is that the basic and intermediate units have more and more included. That comes from competition. When side imaging first hit the market, it was a premium. Now it is included in many cheap, basic units. I continue to be amazed as what can be bought for $200-$300 compared to a few years ago. A significant amount of research and homework is required for every brand, before purchasing, to know what you are getting and what you are not getting. And whether you get an entry-level, or mid-level unit, there will always be something that is on a high-end unit that you wish had been included on what you bought, unless:
    1. You know what you want.
    2. Made the list of specs and features.
    3. Verified it though support that it was included.
    Even I did that when I bought Raymarine and still didn't get it. I also made sure I purchased it from a source that offered no questions returns, so I sent it back.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Thanks Leonard!

I think the manufacturers like Garmin at least should release the memory size info, like what they do for Road GPS navigators, so we can plan and budget. Currently, they are “black boxes”!

Seems the marine electronic market is not competitive enough! Wish it would be changed!

4. Member
    I agree. I think the specs should include the memory size and also CPU.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    Raymarine is doing it for its Element series, which I see is very positive!

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    We know the 2018 model of ECHOMAP Plus (with CV52) could not upgrade its INTERNAL preloaded map from G2 to G3. Garmin doesn’t explain why, but rumor is the 2018 model’s Internal memory is too small for G3.

I am curious, has anyone upgraded your 2019’s Echomap Plus’s internal map from G3 (v2019) to G3 (v2020), WITHOUT PUTTING IT ON AN EXTERNAL CARD? Thanks!
    I got a new EchoMap Plus 95sv for Christmas only to discover that it was not so new. I am suspicious it was a 2018 because it came with the CV52 and G2 maps. And although I only had it for a day or two I remember some sort of upgrade process would fail, using Active Captain. However since it was advertised with a GT52 I took it back to the store and they made it right; I got one with GT52. And it came with G3 v2019.0 v20.5020.5019. I tried to install the new v2020 but it seems Active Captain only allows me to download and install 'sections' of the maps. I have not found how to use Active Captain to install the whole thing.

7. Member
    I agree, and double so if there are differences in the computing 'capabilities' of one model over a couple years of manufacturing. So if there is a cpu, and/or memory, etc, etc, difference between the 2018 and 2019 production year of the same model FF then those difference have to be disclosed. Not doing so will result in pissed off customers. And to distinguise from one to another they can add in a V2 or what ever. So like this as an example:

Echomap Plus (2018)
    Echomap Plus V2 (2019)
    Echomap Plus V3 (2021)

If I find out that Garmin releases a new software package and it will fail because I don't have enough memory, then that will cause me to re-evaulate my choice of the level of FF I buy, and who I buy it from. If memory is an issue then at least make the machine to at least be capable of some sort of in-store service for a memory upgrade.

8. Member
    Glad the dealer made it right for you!

What? ECHOMAP Plus series v2019 can’t upgrade INTERNAL maps from G3 v2019 to G3 v2020 either? This is 95sv.

Any 93sv users have experience? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SonarSentinel View Post
    I got one with GT52. And it came with G3 v2019.0 v20.5020.5019. I tried to install the new v2020 but it seems Active Captain only allows me to download and install 'sections' of the maps. I have not found how to use Active Captain to install the whole thing.

9. Member
    What? ECHOMAP Plus series v2019 can’t upgrade INTERNAL maps from G3 v2019 to G3 v2020 either? This is 95sv.
    Hold on, I don't think that is what I said. It certainly was not what i was trying to say. I did say "I have not found how to use Active Captain to install the whole thing." That does not mean the unit can't or doesn't do it, it means I have not figured out how to do it, assuming the unit can indeed do it, using Active Captain. And I have not tried any other ways that might be possible.

10. Member
    From reading on this board my recollection is that the general rule for echomap units that ship with internal maps is that a full map upgrade requires using the new map in the card slot. I've never heard of a sngle occasion of not having enough memory for a software upgrade.

11. Member
    I wish this were not true, Leonard. I thought only the ECHOMAP Plus with CV52 had the issue.

From reading on this board my recollection is that the general rule for echomap units that ship with internal maps is that a full map upgrade requires using the new map in the card slot. I've never heard of a sngle occasion of not having enough memory for a software upgrade.

12. Member

13. Member
    Wow, what I suspected had happened even before! Damn Garmin!

Since memory (including internal memory) is dirty cheap nowadays, now I highly suspect “no enough space” is just an excuse Garmin is using. I doubt they would really change memory size for each model year by year, particularly for the Echomap Plus.

Last edited by BassTracker175; 01-29-2020 at 02:51 AM.

14. Member
    Shame on you, Garmin!

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sounds like you need to move on to another brand.

And by the way, that im aware of, of the 4. brands Garmin is the only one that you can update internal mapping.....
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 01-29-2020 at 03:41 AM.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

16. Banned
    Shame on you, Garmin!
    Shame on you for wanting to buy wine on a beer budget. You shop price you normally get what you pay for.

And who told you SD cards slow things down? In a properly engineered system that is not true.

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    He's an engineer so he knows it all....sound like he needs go work for garmin and tell them how it works....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

18. Member
    Eating crow is tough. I've had to do it a couple of times on this board. Not fun. I think he bought a 95sv with Canadian maps but lives in Texas. Updating to the latest Canadian maps really won't help him. Maybe he could get on the phone with Garmin and get a discount off the full price of 2020 G3 for U.S.

never had any issues with external maps slowing a unit down. garmin or otherwise.

20. Member
    No, this is not the case or my case.

I just don’t like to see how they design things I this way, purely for $.

Eating crow is tough. I've had to do it a couple of times on this board. Not fun. I think he bought a 95sv with Canadian maps but lives in Texas. Updating to the latest Canadian maps really won't help him. Maybe he could get on the phone with Garmin and get a discount off the full price of 2020 G3 for U.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast