Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger Seat Skins

I have a 2002 Ranger 185VS and have ordered new seat skins from Ranger. Never did much upholstery work and hoping some of you that have done this can share what tips and tricks were learned. I will use an air stapler with monel staples and I have a hair dryer and a heat gun...all replies appreciated.

David

2. Member
    I cant help you with your question but maybe you can help me with mine. Do you know how much material in yards was required for your seats? I have a 2002 520vx comanche and i cant find any information about how much material to purchase. Wondering if your seats are similar?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David g View Post
    I have a 2002 Ranger 185VS and have ordered new seat skins from Ranger. Never did much upholstery work and hoping some of you that have done this can share what tips and tricks were learned. I will use an air stapler with monel staples and I have a hair dryer and a heat gun...all replies appreciated.

David
    I helped my upholstery pro install a set of Ranger skins on my 06/519. This guy has 40 years experience in the trade. First take plenty of pics of the disassembly process. This will help on the reassembly. If you are going to tackle this project get a buddy to help. Stretching and holding with a second guy is a great help. You mentioned a heat gun don’t use it!!! Just keep the skins warm by any other means! Another trick Steve taught me is to spray silicone spray on the upholstery foam. This will make stretching the skins over the foam much easier. The silicon spray will not stain any fabric. Take your time and remove as many wrinkles as possible. Don’t get too hung up on removing all the small wrinkles the sun will relax the skins further. Another thing before installing the skins inspect the stitching inside and out. Steve found a area that needed additional stitching. Another thing contact Ranger they can provide a pdf on the seats showing how to remove the headrests. If they are similar to mine you will need additional parts to reassemble them to the seats. The job took about three hours for Steve and I to complete. If I did another set I would definitely consider having a pro in the loop.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Bass View Post
    I cant help you with your question but maybe you can help me with mine. Do you know how much material in yards was required for your seats? I have a 2002 520vx comanche and i cant find any information about how much material to purchase. Wondering if your seats are similar?
    Contact Ranger Parts with your boat serial number. That’s all they will need to build replacement skins with original color patterns.

5. Member
    Throwing the skins in a dryer in a lower heat setting works wonders and wont risk damaging the material like you would with a heat gun.

also is def easier / most of the times a 2 person job 1 to keep tension while one staples etc. .
    Last edited by ride.race.live; 01-23-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

6. Member
    I was going to do mine, but looking at how many staples there were when I took the other cover off, I took it to an upholstery shop and had them do it for $175. Some of the best money I ever spent.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

7. Member
    So I understand completely, you bought the skins from Ranger and used a shop for install. This sounds the right way to do it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Bass View Post
    I have no idea how much material was used. I bought them from Ranger. I would think that as affordable as they were, that may your best bet as well. There are three colors on my seats and Ranger uses their existing patterns to make them just like they did in 02 when they built my boat. Anything one man can do, another man can do.

9. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar

519VX Boat Seats

My 2006 519VX seats are in good shape overall with a couple of tears in the stitching. I can buy new skins from Ranger for $400 and change but my local upholstery go to guy says he won't do boat seats. Don't know why, just says he doesn't like doing them. So I had Ranger quote me replacement seats that include replacing the middle jump seat with a step storage console which would be nice to have in my single console boat that doesn't have storage of phone wallet keys etc when I'm on the water. Unfortunately they are extremely proud of this set up at $1600 delivered. They will sell the step individually then I'm back to replacing the seat skins again and I just don't want to tackle the job at the risk of screwing them up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would defiantly say send them to a local reputable shop to install. In fact we’d rather build the new skins ourself than install the factory skin as the original foam may have changed shape a little so we can allow for that while sewing. Here is a seat from a 1999 R91 that we rebuilt a lot of the foam and the skins.

34D1B666-3024-409A-A5ED-FD0960925A0F.jpeg
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. Member
    I did the bottom skins on my 03 185VS. The staple guy had to have been drinking that day, way too many staples to remove. They were hard to stretch by myself. The silicone and a partner is a good recommendation.

12. mikesxpress
    Use the search function on here. Lots of detailed information on these skins with pictures and DIY.

13. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Well I ended up purchasing new skins and the step console from Ranger for about half the cost of what they wanted for the preassembled replacement seats and step they offer. Ill be using one of our interior/upholstery experts at work to install the skins so not scared. Unfortunately the console was received in pieces and the instructions provided are extremely vague and don't match any of the parts that came with the console. Hoping to make some sense of it once I have the center seat removed. I did let Ranger know that I was a disappointed that for the price it doesn't come assembled

I recently completed a reskin on my 02 Rangr520vx. I bought the skins from Ranger which only took about 3 weeks once ordered. I took the bench seat to a reputable upholsterer. He estimated $300 to install the skins.
    When I picked it up a week later he told me that removing the skins took for ever as the staple guy must have been high. LOL

The install took a lot longer then expected as well. Guy said he would not do another for under $600.

He did great work and the seat looks new.

15. Member
    I am in line to do seat work on my '05 521VS. I'm thinking to just buy the Ranger style seats from bass boat seats dot com and then order the step storage box from Ranger or, build one myself. I'd like to have the center lid upholstered so I can kneel on it with no pain while managing my fish- culling etc. I think I can get it all done for under 1K. Hopefully. I'll post progress later. Anyone have any info or experience with the BBS seats?

16. Member
    I installed my bottom skins on my 03, your going to need a buddy to help if you want them to be perfect which mine aren’t.

17. Member
    I called Ranger About seat for my 2002 195vs the prices they quoted were
    Skins $537.00 New Seats 839.42 and 3 months to get them. I think anybody that has never upholstered seats (Like Me)would be best off to just get new seats.
    2002 Ranger 195vs
    2013 - 200hp Mercury Pro XS

18. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Does anyone know how to remove these headrests??? I'm replacing the seat skins but not the headrests. Placard on rear of seat and front of headrest have been removed and there are no screws to be found like others have said were there. Trying to do this without destroying the headrests so they can be reused.

19. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Sorry. See photo of the seats I have in previous post in this thread

20. Member
    Lay them out in the sun for a couple hours and get a friend to help stretch them on while you staple. Really not that difficult but depends on how good your foam underneath is. The key is to work in a pattern across the entire space. Think tightening lug nuts on your tires. Dont try to start at one side and go all the way around. Secure each side temporarily and work side to side and back and forth.
    1999 Ranger 519DVS Comanche 2016 Mercury 225 Pro XS

"Let\'s go Hawg\'N...!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast