Bow Sonar Flush Mount

Hi guys, I want to flush mount a Helix 7 on the bow of my 18 TRX. Do any of you have any tips on cutting the hole for the unit? Also wiring power source and routing coax for a trolling motor mounted transducer.

Do you tape a templet to the cover then use a dremel or jig saw to cut the hole? I have ordered the flush mount bracket mount for the back of the unit ( same as flush mount bracket for console ).

A YouTube video would be nice but I haven't found one.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

If you havnt already pull the panel and measure where the hole is in the fiberglass under the panel so the back of the unit will clear. Other than that just tape off or draw out the outline and cut it out. If you have an oscillating saw that be my choice or a dremel or jigsaw be fine. My dealer put the power cable in and ethernet for me but i installed the unit. There is a junction block yoy can get power from under that panel. Or some like to run power from the battery directly. I have mine on the junction block no issues yet using that. I just ran my transducer cable down the trolling motor cable and i made a cable cover and ran the transducer in and out the same hole just wrapped the cable under the panel and tied it up. Havnt had any interference issues and its clean. I went a little different route and made a plate with the gimbal mount but you can see how my cables are. I have a helix 10.

FB2992CC-C775-4ACB-89F4-A6288C7E8F6B.jpeg
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    If you havnt already pull the panel and measure where the hole is in the fiberglass under the panel so the back of the unit will clear. Other than that just tape off or draw out the outline and cut it out. If you have an oscillating saw that be my choice or a dremel or jigsaw be fine. My dealer put the power cable in and ethernet for me but i installed the unit. There is a junction block yoy can get power from under that panel. Or some like to run power from the battery directly. I have mine on the junction block no issues yet using that. I just ran my transducer cable down the trolling motor cable and i made a cable cover and ran the transducer in and out the same hole just wrapped the cable under the panel and tied it up. Havnt had any interference issues and its clean. I went a little different route and made a plate with the gimbal mount but you can see how my cables are. I have a helix 10.

FB2992CC-C775-4ACB-89F4-A6288C7E8F6B.jpeg
    Roy, that is a very neat solution and allows you to tilt your unit to avoid glare. Good job!

Thank you,

Gary
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Thanks. It works really well and get a little elevation so its closer too. Its definitely solid and doesnt move either lol.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Member
    Guys I flush mounted depth finders on the bow and on the console on a boat and that is the worst mistake I have ever made in mounting depth finders. The viewing angle can't be changed on either one and when the sun get to an angle it will make them hard to see. You wind up with a big hole that you have to purchase a cover plate if you ever remove the unit. My new boat I used a 2.25 inch ball mount for the bow for a HDS9 gen3 and a BBT console mount which is the best for the HDS12 carbon on the console plus the console on my new BassCat Eyra did not have room to accommodate the HDS12 in the console. I can adjust the viewing angle of each one if need be. I'll never flush mount again....
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

I flush mounted mine up front.

Cut out the template of what they give you with the unit and remove the plate from the boat.

Center the cut out on the back of the panel and I used a jig saw and drill to cut mine.

Was fairly easy.

As far as wiring, you should have a terminal board up at the front of the boat that is on the Sonar circuit. This was actually one of the cleanest and easiest mounts I have done on a boat.

You can fish the transducer wire to follow the trolling motor wiring and cable.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate