AGM Battery for Mercury Pro X/S 200 V8 4 stroke outboard

Hi All....I just had a 2019 brand new Mercury Pro X/S 200 v8 4-stroke outboard installed on my Triton TR-20 bass boat. According to Mercury and their Operational Manual, one should use a battery that has 800 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) but it doesn't say about Cold Cranking Amps unless you use the International (EN) rating of 975. what about the US rating?

According to a couple of battery companies I called today they were very confused with that statement. They said, normally the MCA rating is always higher than the CCA's. Under some older posts on BBC some has said the battery needs to be an AGM battery vs a regular cell battery. Mercury did validate that statement.

Ok, then, what gives? Where do I find such an AGM battery with 800 MCA's and 975 CCA's coupled with a somewhat high RC capability say 200 or more?
    Or...should I say 975 MCA's and 800 CCA's with 200+ RC time?

Something isn't right here. what's in their operational manual seems counter to how battery companies understand battery ratings. I want to follow what Mercury recommends or exceed it but I can't at the moment.

Anyone else come across this issue? what is right? How did you resolve it? What battery are you all using for this type of outboard?

Thanks all!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=20671

800CCA is the recommendation from Mercury. Most people find that’s just enough for the outboard and basic equipment. To handle fishing loads like electronics and live wells, people generally step up to 1000-1100CCA and 200+ RC in the premium AGMs.

MCA is a basically bogus number that’s more marketing than measurement.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I have the same motor (Mercury 200 HP V8 Pro XS) and use a Northstar AGM 31 with no problems. I have 3 Helix 12 connected + a Talon also. I charge the starting battery each time I go out.

4. Scraps
    For the Pro XS lots recommend the Sam's Club Duracell 31. I have one. Have not run it yet though.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    MCA or CA = cranking capacity tested at 32° F
    CCA = cranking capacity tested at 0° F

Not bogus, just different test conditions. Problem is many don't understand the difference between MCA/CA and CCA.

There were several topics in this forum when the new 4-strokes were released. Plenty was discussed, including some owner's manuals with typos, yours may be one. The correct spec is CCA will be higher than MCA/CA, impossible for it to be the other way around.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=20671

800CCA is the recommendation from Mercury. Most people find that’s just enough for the outboard and basic equipment. To handle fishing loads like electronics and live wells, people generally step up to 1000-1100CCA and 200+ RC in the premium AGMs.

MCA is a basically bogus number that’s more marketing than measurement.
    This thread does not apply to the V6/V8 Fourstroke engines, which have even stricter requirements.

Use an AGM battery ONLY, with a BARE minimum of 975 CCA.

Ignore the other ratings- it's not likely (or perhaps completely impossible) to have a battery that is rated for 975 CCA and 800 MCA. The figures are obviously backwards, and an error.

Stick with the CCA Rating- and consider it the absolute bare minimum for the Engine ALONE.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    MCA or CA = cranking capacity tested at 32° F
    CCA = cranking capacity tested at 0° F

Not bogus, just different test conditions. Problem is many don't understand the difference between MCA/CA and CCA.

There were several topics in this forum when the new 4-strokes were released. Plenty was discussed, including some owner's manuals with typos, yours may be one. The correct spec is CCA will be higher than MCA/CA, impossible for it to be the other way around.
    It’s bogus because they don’t really do the test, it has no standardized test method or formal definition and is essentially a marketing gimmick to make the battery sound bigger than it is. It’s the same as the term “waterproof”. Since there is no standard, a manufacturer can put any number they want on the battery. MCA is usually determined by multiplying CCA*1.25 then rounding to a number that sounds good. You’ll also see Hot Cranking Amps on vehicle starting batteries occasionally. That is CCA*1.5.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​