hydraulic steering drifts to the right

I have sea star steering on my 518 ranger, a couple of months ago it started to drift to the right when holding the wheel steady.
    sea star said it was probably one of the check valves dirty. I cleaned both check valves, I did them 2 times since the first time there was no change, after the second time there was still no change. You can turn the steering wheel all the way to the stops in both direction and the boat run straight for a while, then it starts to drift to the right.

need help

bob west

2. Member
    I can't help at all, but for clarity, the issue is that you'll be holding the steering wheel steady, but the steering system is slipping to the right? Good luck budd
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

3. Member
    Hydraulic steering is not a positive,locked down system like cable steering is,they all have some slip,ALL of them. To demonstrate,turn your steering wheel to lock in either direction and keep pressure on the wheel,it will continue to turn for as long as you want.Prop torque is causing the drift you experience.

4. Member
    Make sure your system doesnt need to be bled. Lower the trim down and try moving the engine from side to side. It shouldnt move more than a quarter of an inch.
    Also are you getting to much left torque steer while trimmed up? If the steering is real hard to turn left while trimmed up, your JP may need to be lowered.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    I have had this boat for eleven years and it just started this drift a couple of month ago. There is no undo torque on the wheel when on plane. You cannot turn the wheel past the stop,
    when the moor is full right or left the steering wheel can not be turned any further.

Bob

6. Member
    My boat did exactly the same. It was weird running down lake gaston and my boat kept wanting to go to stonehouse creek. My issue was due to leaking seals at the cylinder and the seal inside the cylinder. This allowed excess movement in the steering system. I sent my cylinder off to have it rebuilt and it has been fine since. Look for leaking seals that will allow air into the system. Check your system it for excess play. If the engine moves excessively by hand while the boat is trailered you may need to replace/rebuild the cylinder.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Hydraulic steering is not a positive,locked down system like cable steering is,they all have some slip,ALL of them. To demonstrate,turn your steering wheel to lock in either direction and keep pressure on the wheel,it will continue to turn for as long as you want.Prop torque is causing the drift you experience.
    My hydraulic steering has stops both directions, your supposed to turn lock to lock prior to taking off if I remember right.

This is not normal, you have either a leak, bad helm, bad internal ram seal or air in the system
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    When I switched to hydraulic steering, the first time I took the boat out I had to constantly turn the wheel slowly to the left to go straight. Long story short, it was a brand new BAD helm. Helm was replaced (free) and the boat runs straight since then.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Way wrong!!! Hydraulic steering is a positive stop on Starboard and port, and if you come to either side and keep turning like you say, you steering system need repair for sure and most likely your helm unit.
    I have Seastar hydraulic steering on 03 Merc 225 EFI, which I just serviced, and is solid as a rock lock to lock and anywhere inbetween.

^^^^^^ This correct
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Sounds to me like your cylinder is bypassing fluid from one side to the other. Your steering cylinder is a double acting cylinder with the piston in the middle, instead of just on one end. If your prop turned in the opposite direction, then the torque from the prop would be making you drift to the left! Seals in any hydraulic cylinder do not last forever, and I promise I'm telling you the truth. Lots of experience with hydraulics.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    Sounds to me like your cylinder is bypassing fluid from one side to the other. Your steering cylinder is a double acting cylinder with the piston in the middle, instead of just on one end. If your prop turned in the opposite direction, then the torque from the prop would be making you drift to the left! Seals in any hydraulic cylinder do not last forever, and I promise I'm telling you the truth. Lots of experience with hydraulics.
    This would be correct, since the torque of the prop rotation would rotate the stationary motor pivot point to the Starboard side allowing the prop to drift to Port therefore pushing the bow to Port.
    At some point, fluid is being allowed to leak into the bypass port either at the helm unit or the cylinder piston seal. Hence, the hydraulic steering system is compromised and needs rebuilding.

14. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....steering+wheel

If you hold pretty hard pressure against either stop with the wheel, the wheel WILL continue to very slowly move in direction of the pressure on the wheel. Wheel will not stay indexed. Some helm pumps seal better than others but they all do it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....steering+wheel

If you hold pretty hard pressure against either stop with the wheel, the wheel WILL continue to very slowly move in direction of the pressure on the wheel. Wheel will not stay indexed. Some helm pumps seal better than others but they all do it.
    When I serviced my Seastar, they tell you that when you are done bleeding all the air out of your system you should turn your wheel Port to Starboard several time. On the last turning of the wheel, they want you to hold it against the stop, and have someone try to manual push the engine in the opposite direction. If any movement at the motor or at the helm, repeat the bleeding procedure, and if it does not correct the issue, rebuilding the system is recommended.
    Now, I think that they would have said that a small movement would be acceptable if that was the case. I can tell you that when I was done with the bleeding process and held the wheel against the Starboard stop, my son 6'3" 275# former DE could not move the motor in either direction.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    When I serviced my Seastar, they tell you that when you are done bleeding all the air out of your system you should turn your wheel Port to Starboard several time. On the last turning of the wheel, they want you to hold it against the stop, and have someone try to manual push the engine in the opposite direction. If any movement at the motor or at the helm, repeat the bleeding procedure, and if it does not correct the issue, rebuilding the system is recommended.
    Now, I think that they would have said that a small movement would be acceptable if that was the case. I can tell you that when I was done with the bleeding process and held the wheel against the Starboard stop, my son 6'3" 275# former DE could not move the motor in either direction.
    You will not be able to move the motor any at all by holding pressure on the motor but, If you hole the wheel with pressure against the stops it will slowly move. It is the nature of the helm pump. Believe what you want to.