Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In order to do that you would need to determine whether you need a "tilt" helm or not, the length of hoses needed, and then spec a helm/cylinder kit + the correct length of hoses.

If you know the length of the steering CABLES, we can work from that. Normally you will go with something like the Seastar PRO system, or (my preferred option) a SeaStar/Dometic helm and a Mercury HD cylinder.

Our Parts Department can assist you with a system, if you get the measurements and/or cable lengths.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Sounds awesome to me! Fastest thing on the water in it's time.Reminds me of my XR2 days. Get the trim full of oil and see how it does. You might have to deal with a slight leak or a good hydraulic shop can put in new seals if you don't want to tackle it yourself....if that's all that's wrong with it.

Just had my trim system replaced on a 150 xr4. I assume it’s the identical system.
    Unit was $1400.00. Labor quote 2-3 hours.
    I didn’t want to fool around getting the system rebuilt with the difficulty of getting all the orings needed.
    Probably would’ve been $1000.00 anyway after labor.

Would I notice much difference if I swapped out the 2 Piece Design II heads with the one piece Design 2 heads?

Also, what about going from WH39's to WH46 carbs?

Would I have to change the reeds too?
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran

5. Member
    one piece heads run lil cooler no performance gains with either ,need to change reeds anyway
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    one piece heads run lil cooler no performance gains with either ,need to change reeds anyway
    Why would I need to change the reeds?
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran

7. Member
    lil better running quality and safety if one breaks
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    +1, unlike steel reeds, composite won't destroy the engine if your engine eats one or more.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Additionally, why are the 2 piece heads almost to a polished finish but the one piece heads more porous definitely showing they are cast?

Port side head (1 piece) and gasket from an 1988 Mariner 200
    IMG_20210914_181526_01.jpg

Port side head (2 piece) 1986 Mercury 200 Black Max
    86MercuryBlackMaxPortHead.jpg
    US Navy veteran

10. Member
    difference between standard cast head and lost foam casting , i piece is lost foam method

OK, another loaded/dumb question...

I know I should order the fuel pump diaphragm kit, however due to extremely limited time and budget constraints (as well as part availability) I need to manufacture a fuel pump diaphragm kit for a Design 2 fuel pump (already tried to swap my Design 3 - Square pump, but unless I drill and tap the block, the vacuum hole won't line up.) I already have 1/32nd Rubber fiber gasket material (fuel and oil exposure compliant). The gasket had several cuts, rigid and/or broken spots, so I made new ones of those. I am having difficulty with the diaphragm though. It is toast. It is rigid. Any suggestions for the time being until things get back to either in stock or until I can locate a source for all the components? I have heard, that a bicycle tire inner-tube can be used.

I was looking at the: 30430A12 since it also has the check valves and I am unsure of any history of this motor, however, it is NLA. Yes, the gasket sets are still made, but finding them in time and budget proved unfruitful.

I am just trying to get it running so I can attend a take a veteran fishing event on the 22 of October. They are nearly 30 boaters/captains/guides short as of today, So I was gonna switch over from a registered veteran to a boater and take another vet with me. After that, I can slow down and wait for parts.

Additionally, what are the big differences between the WH-39 and the WH-46 carbs?
    Last edited by Radeleur; 10-12-2021 at 11:31 AM.
    US Navy veteran

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You have a PM with leads on the check valve kit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

OK, had it running good, good tell-tail stream and idle. Friday (10-22-2021) decided to take it out of the no wake and let it breathe a little. Did good. SO decided to make a small run out around a main point and to a southern area, approx about 3 miles. Got it up to 54 mpg (gps), tach still not believable as it was reading 3k. Then suddenly nothing...like I had pulled the killswitch. Believing it may have run out of gas, I tried my other tank. It wouldn't even start. So I siphoned the gas from my port to starboard tank and tried to start again. I could get it to fire but then it would die. SO a buddy pulled me to the marina and we put 5 gallons of 91 in it. It started right up and was idling fine and then I pulled away from the dock. I got about 1000 feet away and it died again. I then had to pump the primer and it would start again run about 45 seconds and die again. Did this all the way back to the ramp. During this it was surging almost dying and if I pressed the hotfoot all the way down it would bog then rev up and go.

When I got it back to the ramp and tied off I tried to get it to start and it wouldn't. I would pump the primer solid and still wouldn't start. noticed a large field approx 3 feet of large drops of oil and then after trying to crank it again I noticed that I had a large field of gas/oil sheen on the water. The fuel pump appears to not have leaked at all and was still intact.

I am at a loss. When it was quiet enough I noticed I could pump the primer solid but it sounded like bubbling like air was coming from somewhere. Is it possible it could be something with the exhaust plate or gasket? To date I have done: Replaced all coils, 1 CDI box, 3 new plug wires, replaced WH-39 carbs with WH-46 carbs (from an 88 200), rebuilt all 3 carbs, replaced both head gaskets, replaced 2 piece design 2 heads with 1 piece heads (from an 88 200), replaced thermostat's, replaced fuel lines, replaced fuel filter 2 times, new NGK BU8H plugs, poppet valve and components, TDC and timing verified and set, sync and link performed as well. Primer was replaced with a mercury one as well. Used fresh 100% gas and pre-mix 50:1 semi-sythetic oil. Also replaced lower unit with lower unit from an 88 200 and new water pump and impeller.

Side note I finally received a new service manual from Mercury #90-97658--3 1-488 what I paid for it would absolutely without a doubt have people calling me a liar....9 bucks with shipping (7.95 was the shipping).
    Last edited by Radeleur; 10-31-2021 at 04:43 PM.
    US Navy veteran

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like you may have sucked a bunch of crap up into the fuel system when you ran it out of fuel...?

How would I proceed from here?
    US Navy veteran

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    IF you have good compression (verify) and good spark (verify):

Start at the tanks- siphon every last drop through the sending unit opening. Make sure they're spotless/clean, reinstall sender and add fresh/clean fuel.

Good time to replace lines and bulb if not already upgraded/recently. Use bulb to flush fuel through lines into a glass jar to make certain fuel is CLEAN.

Rebuild fuel pump.

Remove and clean carbs completely (including removal of ALL jets).

Perform a complete Sync-n-Link procedure before running engine.

OK here is what I have done so far:

Ignition coils x6
    Spark Wires X3
    Switch Box X2
    Carb Rebuilt X3
    Fuel Pump Rebuilt X1
    Starter - Replaced
    Starter Regulator - Replaced
    Fuel Hoses - Replaced
    Bleeder Hoses - Replaced
    Head Gasket Replaced - 2
    Fuel Primer Bulb - Replaced
    Fuel Tank Gaskets - Replaced x2
    Fuel Tank Sending Units - Replaced x2
    Fuel Tank hoses - replaced x2
    Fuel Tank Selector Valve - Replaced
    Spark Plugs - Replaced BU8H X6
    Oil Injection - Deleted
    Clean Non-Ethanol fuel Pre-mix 50:1
    Times according to Mercury Service Manual 90-97658-3
    Trigger - Replaced by previous owner with a CDI version
    Stator - Replaced by previous owner with a CDI version
    Retimed
    Synk-n-Link performed

This is what she sounds like now in the video attached
    https://youtube.com/shorts/mme-AnegGlw?feature=share
    US Navy veteran

18. Member
    from here dont sound to bad , so howd it run

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    from here dont sound to bad , so howd it run
    I downgraded the prop from the 24p 4 blade to a 22p 4 blade She had some pep...still didn't really have the push to get on the trailer maybe its just I don't get the black max' intricacies, but I remember my 2000 Merc 200 had more umph when gunning up the trailer its like i can floor the hot foot and she doesn't snap she lollygags up to 3k and stays there like it doesn't have the power band, tach is still a mystery...it works but I am unsure of its accuracy.

Did you notice a slight ticking sound?
    US Navy veteran

20. Member
    remember that mt is nowhere close too low end of a 2000 model 200 and not real close to top end , GOT a 4 blade on it ??????

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast