Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Would need appropriate tools, surgically clean work area, 48462A4 O-Ring Kit and 41478A1 Repair Kit.

Also Mercury or Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid.

Keep in mind- many parts for this system are now obsolete, so much beyond the seals and the system may be non-repairable.

There's an option to upgrade to a later system, but the price tag is staggering.
    What is the option? Just want to cover all the bases and look at all the options.

Is there a way to test to see if it is the endcap/seal?
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Merc2.4 View Post
    Ur oil injection is blocked and removed. All good there , if trim was low on fluid u will hear bubbles, gurgling sound, the old single ram with the pump for outboard is pretty slow , best thing to do with that is find a i/o pump , then ur trim will b fast or faster than 3 ram trim , but if u have original pump then it's pretty common from what I've seen for it to b slow
    How would that work...the i/o pump?
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    According to the Serial Number, this should have the 3-ram trim system (with pump inside the transom brackets).

Radeleur- can you confirm that?

If you want to price the upgrade option- drop our Parts Department an email.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeleur View Post
    How would that work...the i/o pump?
    Is it a 3 ram or single ram trim?

I'm not claiming I really know, but I think it's the 3. It has 2 smaller rams that are towards the bottom on the outsides aiming upwards and then one big center 1 going up and a side fluid fill.

Side note: I am not experiencing any leakdown at all.
    Last edited by Radeleur; 02-16-2020 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added information
    US Navy veteran

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be a 3-ram (the two shorter ones are "trim" and the center is your "tilt").

There is (as of today's date) still a complete replacement trim system available, which upgrades from a 3-wire system to a 2-wire system.

Part# 8M0143217 (we do not price in the forums as the prices change constantly... contact our Parts Department for pricing).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I went and looked and it appears that only the tilt ram has fluid on the body. So would that probably be the earlier ring sets?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Radeleur; 02-16-2020 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added pics
    US Navy veteran

8. Member
    Really need to lube the balls on your trim rams - they look bone dry. Be sure to inspect the trim pads and ensure they aren't badly worn (they can be replaced easily).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Really need to lube the balls on your trim rams - they look bone dry. Be sure to inspect the trim pads and ensure they aren't badly worn (they can be replaced easily).
    Where are those pads? I might have taken pics of it...I am documenting a total boat (1989 ChampioN 201 SCR) tear-down and rebuild and this is just a down the road issue at this point but still need addressed
    US Navy veteran

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I went and looked and it appears that only the tilt ram has fluid on the body. So would that probably be the earlier ring sets?
    Honestly... who knows. The trim motor and related wiring appears to have been changed (that's a 2-wire trim motor, so it should have relays on it now, correct?)

You should be able to reseal that with the listed O-ring/seal kits, though.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Honestly... who knows. The trim motor and related wiring appears to have been changed (that's a 2-wire trim motor, so it should have relays on it now, correct?)

You should be able to reseal that with the listed O-ring/seal kits, though.
    I don't know. Only my 2nd boat and I just bought this boat 3 weeks ago (as of this date)
    US Navy veteran

12. Member
    see relays in # 12
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    see relays in # 12
    Thanks for that. I see those...thought I was supposed to look somewhere else.
    US Navy veteran

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    see relays in # 12
    Eagle eyes!

15. Member
    Where are those pads? I might have taken pics of it...I am documenting a total boat (1989 ChampioN 201 SCR) tear-down and rebuild and this is just a down the road issue at this point but still need addressed
    Look where the balls contact on engine and you'll see the pads. Replace if badly worn.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    RAD I suspect that someone has changed your older style 3 ram 3 to a wire system over with a aftermarket mtr and pump kit or something ,now that you have found relays and know its a 2 wire system you could look for a good used later model rear fill tilt system if you continue to have probs with yours there are some out there i know
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Sounds to me like a combo problem with the trim- like the pump assembly (below the trim motor), is laboring and needs to be replaced. 2, the leak from the tilt cylinder may just be an O ring and wiper seal. If you have a service manual you can probably fix all of this for around $200. Or, look for a <EDIT- See Announcements> good clean used 3 ram, 3 wire trim and tilt unit, and just change out the whole rig. Can usually find a full system for around $400. They are fairly easy to change out but again, get a service manual. Do not attempt R&R without one.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-20-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silvertalon View Post
    Sounds to me like a combo problem with the trim- like the pump assembly (below the trim motor), is laboring and needs to be replaced. 2, the leak from the tilt cylinder may just be an O ring and wiper seal. If you have a service manual you can probably fix all of this for around $200. Or, look for a <EDIT- See Announcements> good clean used 3 ram, 3 wire trim and tilt unit, and just change out the whole rig. Can usually find a full system for around $400. They are fairly easy to change out but again, get a service manual. Do not attempt R&R without one.
    Where do I get a Service Manual for it?
    US Navy veteran

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Part# 976583 Service Manual can be ordered through any Mercury Dealer (including our Parts Department).

What would it take (parts numbers if possible) to convert it from the 2 steering cable to hydraulic?
    US Navy veteran

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast