Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question BPS Auto/Manual Inflatable PFD????

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/new-...chTerm=2610845

Got the sale flyer yesterday and this particular PDF will be on sale. Anyone have it?? Good/Bad???
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I don't have that one, but all of the BPS PFDs are rebranded Onyx ones. You could probably find more reviews on those?

I have one that's like an A/M 24 that's been good. It blew up once while I was wearing it, but it was literally a month away from needing a new bobbin/cartridge anyway.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Wife and I have them never had a issue with them but only had them about 9 months so far

You can get essentially the same Onyx A/M24 for $89.00 if you can catch it at the right time.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ony...ket-026023317p
    https://www.anchorexpress.com/Onyx-A...7C%20%24103.25
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    You can get essentially the same Onyx A/M24 for $89.00 if you can catch it at the right time.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ony...ket-026023317p
    https://www.anchorexpress.com/Onyx-A...7C%20%24103.25
    These are a bit different than the A/M 24. Aside from the extra floatation, these have the in-sight feature that allows you to see whether it is armed or not. That's minor to most in real-life use, but from a Coast Guard rating perspective they're allowed to be counted as a Type II or Type III PFD instead of a "Type V with Type II (or III) Performance." This means they count towards your one-for-every-passenger requirement as long as they're in the boat and easily accessible. Forgetting the gray area around what "easily accessible" means, the Type V have to worn to count. For us, that means we have to carry around another traditional style life jacket unless we're wearing our Type V the entire time we're on the water (which most do not do). Carrying an extra life jacket is probably not the worst thing in the world to do, but if you're not aware it can be an expensive lesson if you get checked.

EDIT: Just noticed that the BPS description for the one linked says "Type V with..." That would be something new if it's not a mistake on the website. Unless something has changed recently, every one I've seen that has the in-sight feature is Type II or Type III outright. Maybe it's the fact that these can be converted to a pure manual mode that makes the difference. Either way, worth checking into if you don't always carry extra life jackets around!
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 01-22-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I plan on using this in the summer time when it starts getting hot and when fishing.....I have the regular PFD's. .........this would be my first of this type of PFD......hate to say it but never been checked while on the water and only see state wildlife/fisheries......only other place i "Might" see coast guard would be on the Red River but in my 20 yrs of living here, never have.....oh well....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I had the West Marine version and put it to use the other week. Worked very well. I wear it every time when on the water. Highly recommend them.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

8. Member
    I have the BPS Mustang and BPS Onyx and really like them. Can wear one all day while fishing compared to the vest type which I shed as soon as the outboard is turned off.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

9. Dogfish_Jones
    I quit wearing the BPS Onyx A/M, this year. I went through three cartridges this past year. Two times in went off laying in my seat during those 90+ degree days on the lake. The other time it went off in my storage locker on my boat. It was dry in there too but of course moisture could have developed in there.
    I went back to the vest style and the two times I have used in in the past month, it was very comfortable to me. I do not wear it while fishing, just when my main engine is running and it on the lanyard to my kill switch.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I plan on using this in the summer time when it starts getting hot and when fishing.....I have the regular PFD's. .........this would be my first of this type of PFD......hate to say it but never been checked while on the water and only see state wildlife/fisheries......only other place i "Might" see coast guard would be on the Red River but in my 20 yrs of living here, never have.....oh well....
    I have used Stearns Type V/III manual/auto for 10+yrs, and I always have it on when I am on the move with my kill switch attached just in case something goes sideways at speed. I have been boarded by the Coast Guard since I fish the St Lawrence River area, and apart from checking if charge is within 3 yrs of expiration date, they have been OK even when I have it hanging on my butt seat. My river is the boarder between us and Canada, so I get to see the lawman from both sides of the fence.