Tilt/ trim question

I have a 98 mercury 225 EFI and the lift cylinder seal was leaking. I replaced the seal/ o-rings in the center lift cylinder and didn’t do anything to the tilt cylinders. Filled back up with fluid and now it works in the lift stage but the trim isn’t working correctly. There’s a pause between the lift and the trim cycles. I’ve ran it up and down to bleed it but nothing seems to work. Help/ ideas? THANKS!!!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info. Thanks!
    Serial # OG626254

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A couple of suggestions:

-Level the trailer and the boat

-Run the engine all the way up and set the tilt lock/lever

-Recheck the fluid level, top off to the BOTTOM OF THE THREADS with Mercury or Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid

-Reinstall cap

-Cycle several full cycles full-down (stalled) to full up and back.

-Repeat above after sitting for at least 12 hours.

See how it does after that....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    That is the EXACT procedure I’ve been doing. It has about a 2-3 second pause between the lift/ trim cycles and then won’t go completely to the bottom of the trim stage. You can push it down all the way but it comes right back up like there’s an air pocket stuck in there. THANKS for your reply- heading to try again today!!!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try jacking the port (left) side of the trailer up so that the port side of the trim system is higher than the STB.

Cycle trim up and down a couple times, run up FULLY, and then check/adjust fluid level.

See if this helps to resolve it... if it does, adjust the fluid level (boat/trailer level this time) as necessary.

I've run across some units from this vintage that did seem to "air lock" and needed some assistance to purge the air.

Another option is to use the manual relief to allow you to drop the engine ALL the way down, while bypassing the valve seats.

Remember- air purges when the system is STALLED at the full down or full up position.

7. Member
    I’ll try it! THANKS!!!!!