Bass fishing on the potomac in the winter time?

How is it? I've seen these different youtube videos of guys doing well in the winter, but never heard of it being a go to spot during this time?

Where do individuals chose to fish in the winter time? Outside of thinking about this past time from their couch?

2. Member
    Occoquan Creek(back half)

Above WW Bridge(Spoils cove, Blue Plains treatment plant). Also some stuff on the rived between bridge and Blue Plains.

3. Member
    From what I understand running your big engine on that portion of the river you need to be extra careful, no? What are the best navigation cards to use for that portion of the river? Also is it better to launch from the DC (Columbia Island Marina) or come in from Smallwood State park to get to those locations?

4. Member
    If you launch from Smallwood Park turn right after launch and you see a hugh bank with fallen trees. In front of the bank out about 20 yds is a channel 8-10 ft deep and it runs down past a cove on on the right on down to the main creek across from Marsh Island. When you approach the big bank look for a series of pilings under water from the old Grinder's wharf. They run out from the bank to the channel.That channel will sometimes hold bass and on a sunny day they come up to the flat in the cove on the right. The water in the cove is only 2-3 feet deep. If you turn left from Smallwood go down 2-300 yds and there is a marker near the bank on the right on a steep drop and from there look further down on the right and there is another marker off the point with another deep drop.

5. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by herndonpro View Post
    Occoquan Creek(back half)

Above WW Bridge(Spoils cove, Blue Plains treatment plant). Also some stuff on the rived between bridge and Blue Plains.
    Steve as much as you fish in Occoquan you know its a river not a creek. He will be riding around for days looking for the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-LC View Post
    From what I understand running your big engine on that portion of the river you need to be extra careful, no? What are the best navigation cards to use for that portion of the river? Also is it better to launch from the DC (Columbia Island Marina) or come in from Smallwood State park to get to those locations?
    A Navionics chip will show you the hazards. Still have to be careful and hold your breath as you go through some areas up there until you figure out where you can run. Fox Ferry is notorious for biting unsuspecting boaters. You used to see prop blades stuck in some of the pilings at low tide. There is a ramp at National Airport if you want to fish the D.C. area. You will also need a D.C. license and they have a safe boater certificate requirement.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Would not bother with the Occoquan this weekend, drove over it this afternoon and it is rolling from water coming out of the dam.

8. mikesxpress
    The Blue Plains shit plant in DC is the winter go to spot. Make sure to bring a change of clothes and plastic bag. You don't want to get in your vehicle smelling like that.

The river isn't known for it's winter time bass fishing.

9. Banned
    Hate to disagree with you on your assessment there MikeExpress. I've caught some of my best stringers in the winter time and not from Blue Plains either. I will agree that fishing can be slow at times during the winter months but if you are willing to put in the time and effort it can pay nice dividends.

10. mikesxpress
    Post some pictures Jerry!!
    I'll wait till it warms up a bit to brim fish here.

11. Banned
    fish_LI.jpg fish2_LI.jpg

Im sure you will recognize the boat ramp in the right photo. I was definitely not anywhere near Blue Plains
    Last edited by skooter68; 01-27-2020 at 12:45 PM.

12. mikesxpress
    Never seen anyone blot out there own fish pic....

Maybe he is in the witness protection program.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Wasn't the MD state record caught on the Potomac in the winter?
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

15. Member
    Winter fishing in tidal waters.. Bass look for warmer water. They also would like to be in a place with food. IN MY OPINION bass, as well as many other fish, look for a place without a lot of current like The Spoils, so they don't have to expend energy just sitting and waiting for Spring. I fish over here on the Eastern Shore. I find bass in places with low current, like areas in rivers that are very wide, which reduces velocity. Also lay downs reduce current and provide ambush places. Near the top end of tidal rivers and creeks the current is diminished, because there is nowhere for the tide left to push water, it just rises and falls. Also look for any place that the normal current passes by, with a "backwash" that provides dead current areas. Works for me.

Be careful at Fox Ferry, lots of L/U parts on the bottom there. Blue Plains fish smell of Clorox. White fish are plentiful there as well as Tootsie roll wrappers.

Very unfortunate.

16. Member
    Yes. In the spoils on a silver buddy...