Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coosa river? Lanier? Vacation

Heading to Florida in couple weeks. We are going to hit a lake or two on way down. Were on the Coosa river would you hit? Launch at? Lanier? etc. Want to catch some big spots. Appreciate the help.

2. Dogfish_Jones
    I would fish Lay Lake on the Coosa River. It’s one of the few lakes that is least affective during the winter draw down. Put in at Beeswax ramp.

3. Member
    Lanier this time of the year is on fire!

4. Member
    If you fish Lanier, I would get a guide. The fishing usually is great if you know what to do but these fish are different than any green fish out there. Herring and deep clear water have those fish moving all the time. I know a lot of people come here and leave only catching smaller spots while the anglers in the info loop are doing well.
    Lanierspotman
    2023 Skeeter 21ZXR 2023 250 SHO
    Lake Lanier, GA

5. Member
    Honestly all of the Coosa are good right now.

Any of them will do you just fine. I am partial to Lay and Mitchell

6. Member
    No doubt about it, if BIG spots are what you are after there is no better lake, east of California, than Jordan. The average size there is better than any of the other Coosa lakes. Put in at Bonner's. We have a place on Logan Martin and Logan is on fire right now but if I had one day left to fish the Cossa, I'm going to Jordan!!!
    Lay Lake is great but it is the only lake on the Coosa, in my opinion, where the predominant species is Largemouth. Mitchel is also a great spot lake but the average size on Mitchel is no where near what it is on Jordan.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski Tar View Post
    No doubt about it, if BIG spots are what you are after there is no better lake, east of California, than Jordan. The average size there is better than any of the other Coosa lakes. Put in at Bonner's. We have a place on Logan Martin and Logan is on fire right now but if I had one day left to fish the Cossa, I'm going to Jordan!!!
    I second Jordan.
    Jerkbait, jig, alabama rig, shakey head - that's all of the rods you'll need.

It's safer to run that Lay Lake.
    Joey Aderhold

8. Member
    If you happen to go to the Coosa, for safety sake, I would avoid the two first lakes in the chain, Weiss and Neely Henry. They are a challenge to navigate at full pool, and lots worse at winter pool (as they are now).
    There are other options to Lanier. In northwest Georgia, Carters Lake has some big Alabama Spots. The same goes for Lake Chatuge in northeast Georgia. BASS AOY was held there in 2018.

Winter pool on Neely Henry is a foot below full pool.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    Winter pool on Neely Henry is a foot below full pool.
    Winter pool is 506 and full pool is 508.

Level Base: MSL
    Full Pool: 508.00 feet
    Winter Pool: 507.00 feet
    Flood Pool: 508.00 feet
    Change Since Yesterday: 0.44 Feet
    Level Controlled by: Alabama Power
    Dam Name: H. Neely Henry (ALABAMA POWER COMPANY)

2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    Level Base: MSL
    Full Pool: 508.00 feet
    Winter Pool: 507.00 feet
    Flood Pool: 508.00 feet
    Change Since Yesterday: 0.44 Feet
    Level Controlled by: Alabama Power
    Dam Name: H. Neely Henry (ALABAMA POWER COMPANY)

They may have changed what it says online but it always stays closer to 506 during the winter. A few inches makes a big difference there.

They dropped Jordan about 4-5 feet this past year. It is the first time it had been drawn down in probably 12 years. It is back to full pool now but honestly the fishing has been a bit off since. The shad spawn seems to have failed this fall and the spots are scattered instead of schooled as they typically are this time of year.

Bonner's is the best access point but you will need to stay in Prattville, Montgomery, Wetumpka, or Clanton. So you are going to have a 30-45 minute drive to the ramp from any decent motel.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 01-22-2020 at 11:11 AM.

14. Member
    Carters Lake....A short drive off I-75 in north Georgia, if you're coming down that route Through Chattanooga, Tn.

15. Member
    Jordan

16. Member
    Sounds like Jordan is what most people pick. Is Lanier fished too much, too much pressure? What's a good area for a hotel/motel near Jordan?

17. Member
    Lanier is a world class Spotted bass fishery. Local tourneys right now are being won with 21-19 lbs of all Spotted bass. The only caveat is that you have to know how to fish it. It’s not really the best a “show up and beat the bank” kind of lake. You can catch fish shallow but the consistent bite for quality is usually out deeper. For the folks, who know, it’s a very special lake and pressure isnt a big issue as they know how to counter it. Only negative on Lanier is that once the weather gets nice, the boat traffic gets out of hand. I’d say If you know how to fish herring Spotted bass lakes, Lanier is tough/impossible to beat for quality spotted bass.

Also, I’ve fished both Lanier and Jordan and they are totally different kinds of fisheries so depends on what your looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by snookonfly View Post
    Lanier is a world class Spotted bass fishery. Local tourneys right now are being won with 21-19 lbs of all Spotted bass. The only caveat is that you have to know how to fish it. It’s not really the best a “show up and beat the bank” kind of lake. You can catch fish shallow but the consistent bite for quality is usually out deeper. For the folks, who know, it’s a very special lake and pressure isnt a big issue as they know how to counter it. Only negative on Lanier is that once the weather gets nice, the boat traffic gets out of hand. I’d say If you know how to fish herring Spotted bass lakes, Lanier is tough/impossible to beat for quality spotted bass.

Also, I’ve fished both Lanier and Jordan and they are totally different kinds of fisheries so depends on what your looking for...
    Plus, if the fish aren’t biting, just tie up your boat to Margaritaville and have a few cold ones!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLucky View Post
    Sounds like Jordan is what most people pick. Is Lanier fished too much, too much pressure? What's a good area for a hotel/motel near Jordan?
    There are a number of hotels off of the I-65 #205 exit in Clanton which is close to the northern of the lake. You could also stay in Prattville which is closer to the southern end of the lake. There are more restaurants in Prattville and there is also a Bass Pro Shops, however, the Clanton exit is probably a more direct route to Bonners Point launch. If you have a couple of days to fish. I would stay in Clanton and fish Jordan one day and Mitchel the other day. Both are outstanding Spot lakes. They're not that hard to fish either, Have a crankbait, Jig and a Shakeyhead and you shouldn't have any problems getting bit. Go up river and fish the current breaks. If you can fish during the week it will be much more likely that Alabama Power will be running current through the dams. Good luck!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski Tar View Post
    There are a number of hotels off of the I-65 #205 exit in Clanton which is close to the northern of the lake. You could also stay in Prattville which is closer to the southern end of the lake. There are more restaurants in Prattville and there is also a Bass Pro Shops, however, the Clanton exit is probably a more direct route to Bonners Point launch. If you have a couple of days to fish. I would stay in Clanton and fish Jordan one day and Mitchel the other day. Both are outstanding Spot lakes. They're not that hard to fish either, Have a crankbait, Jig and a Shakeyhead and you shouldn't have any problems getting bit. Go up river and fish the current breaks. If you can fish during the week it will be much more likely that Alabama Power will be running current through the dams. Good luck!
    I appreciate all the help from everybody. We will come down Thurs. evening but mainly fish Friday. Thought about of launching out of Beeswax. I am a river rat so will probably go up river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast