36 Volt Wiring Help

Hi guys, it has been forever since I made a post, my apologies. I was in need of all new batteries so I connected all of the wires to every terminal and marked them appropriately. when I tried to connect the cables coming from the front, the black wire sparked on the negative terminal and threw the TM breaker. Not sure why this happened, because I am fairly certain I put everything together correctly. as you know, the wires coming from the TM plug are 2 red and one black, and I have these going to the correct terminals on the same battery. Pretty sure this is how it was, but? Any help would be appreciated.

Dwayne

Reach out to Mr. Jones, he has a working diagram

Quote Originally Posted by jbasslouie View Post
    Reach out to Mr. Jones, he has a working diagram
    Wiring

Thanks. I contacted him years ago, but lost the diagram.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure you should only have 2 wires from TM. A negative and positive and actually, the POSITIVE goes to the circuit breaker then from circuit breaker to FIRST battery in series on the POSITIVE post. After that the FIRST battery gets a cable on the NEGATIVE post going to SECOND batterie's POSITIVE post. After that cable from SECOND batterie's NEGATIVE post to THIRD batterie's POSITIVE post. Finally the NEGATIVE wire from TM goes to THIRD batterie's NEGATIVE post. Hope that helps

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

I must have lost the negative TM cable when I removed everything from the terminals. I believe if I connect the black negative TM cable to the last battery and the (2) red positive cables to the first battery, I should be good. I will let you all know, thanks for the help.

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Okay, it shouldn't be this hard. I hooked the black cable for the TM to the last battery in line. Everything else is connected as it should be except the positive lead from battery 2 to the negative of battery 1. I simply touched the cable on the negative terminal and all hell broke loose, damn near melted the terminal. I verified all the connections again, but I am leery to try again. Is there a specific order to do this?

Dwayne

Make sure TM is off??

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

It was, thanks.

Dwayne

"Hooked the BLACK cable for the TM to the last battery in line". Was it hooked to the NEGATIVE post?
    "I simply touched the cable on the NEGATIVE terminal". Was this the other (POSITIVE) TM cable you touched to negative?
    Plus you're saying you did this with a jumper cable missing in the middle?? If you have a resettable circuit breaker, manually trip it, wire TM as shown in diagram and I explained then manually reset breaker.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    Okay, it shouldn't be this hard. I hooked the black cable for the TM to the last battery in line. Everything else is connected as it should be except the positive lead from battery 2 to the negative of battery 1. I simply touched the cable on the negative terminal and all hell broke loose, damn near melted the terminal. I verified all the connections again, but I am leery to try again. Is there a specific order to do this?

Dwayne

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Also one more thing. Are the 3 batteries dedicated for the TM or is one of them the cranking/house battery?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    "Hooked the BLACK cable for the TM to the last battery in line". Was it hooked to the NEGATIVE post?
    "I simply touched the cable on the NEGATIVE terminal". Was this the other (POSITIVE) TM cable you touched to negative?
    Plus you're saying you did this with a jumper cable missing in the middle?? If you have a resettable circuit breaker, manually trip it, wire TM as shown in diagram and I explained then manually reset breaker.
    Hope this helps.

Joe, yes the black TM cable went to the negative on battery three. Both positive TM cables are on the positive 1st battery. The loose cable was connected to positive on battery 2 and should go to negative on battery 1. This is when all hell broke loose.

Thanks for the help.

Both cables? What’s this mean ? Should only be 1. Was this converted from an old 12/24 trolling motor? Have a pic of what it looks like now?
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

I believe it was converted. I had BOTH red to the first battery forever and it was never a problem. I will send a pic when I get home.

Thanks again.

Dang, it has been so long since I posted a pic, I forgot. There are actually 2 red and 2 black wires coming from the TM plug. Both red are on positive of battery one, and both negative are on negative of battery 3.

Okay, so I got it working. On battery 1, I have the TM red to positive and the TM black to negative. From battery 1 positive, there is a jumper to battery 2 negative. From battery 2 positive, there is a jumper to battery 3 negative. On battery three, I also connected the additional TM red to positive and TM black to negative.

Thanks for all the help.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    Okay, so I got it working. On battery 1, I have the TM red to positive and the TM black to negative. From battery 1 positive, there is a jumper to battery 2 negative. From battery 2 positive, there is a jumper to battery 3 negative. On battery three, I also connected the additional TM red to positive and TM black to negative.

Thanks for all the help.
    Dwayne,
    Based on what you described, at some point the Negative TM of battery 1 connects to the Positive TM of battery 3 to make the 36V circuit, which leave me to wonder what does the Positive TM of battery 1 and Negative TM battery 3 connect to making a 24V circuit??
    I have an 2002 Cobra 201DC with the 12/24 V set up running a 24V TM
    Last edited by digthemup; 02-03-2020 at 06:18 PM.