Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should I be worried

Im looking at a 2007 TR186. The boat sat in the weather for quite and will need some TLC to get the shine back.
    This will be my first fiberglass bass boat (previously had an alum.) and Im concerned about some cracks in the top cap as shown in the attached picture.
    Would you consider these stress cracks? Cracks in the paint or gel coat?
    And is this something I should be overly concerned about or is it par for the course on a 13 year old fiber glass boat?
    Thanks for any input.IMG_0460.JPG

2. Member
    Looks cosmetic only to me. White shows those well. Any crack gets dirt down in it and the contrast between the gel and the dirt is what you are actually seeing. If it doesn't bother you to see it, I wouldn't worry.

They don’t look all that concerning to me on their own, but for where they’re at they sort of do. I expect this in the splash well, or by the console where you’d expect stress/torque on the hull to be the most severe. Back there where those are is pretty weird as there shouldn’t be much stress in that area from normal operation. It makes me wonder if something else is wrong. Specifically I’m wondering about a wreck or some other pretty hard collision...

I’m no fiberglass expert, but have seen my share of stress cracks. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them there.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I’m with Drew on this. Splash well and mid section topcap cracks are normal, but that area shouldn’t be seeing any under “normal” conditions. Look it over real close. Check inside and down the side of the hull also. Just seems a little weird.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Looks like a weak hull , those cracks are from flexing .There is a good reason some boats costs more than others .

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Looks like a weak hull , those cracks are from flexing .There is a good reason some boats costs more than others .
    Doesn’t cracks happen due to a “stiff” hull? Or uneven gel? I don’t know, just had a fiberglass guy tell me that once.

Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Doesn’t cracks happen due to a “stiff” hull? Or uneven gel? I don’t know, just had a fiberglass guy tell me that once.
    He was making excuses . Flexing hulls cause cracks . Weak stringers cause flexing in weak hull .

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    He was making excuses . Flexing hulls cause cracks . Weak stringers cause flexing in weak hull .
    Good observation and advice.

9. Member
    If it were me i would keep shopping. Love the tritons. There should be more out there.

You can’t tell by the pic if anything is wrong with the hull....I see boats with way more cracks than this and they’re fine. I’ve also seen shorter cracks than this and it was coming from a transom issue....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Have someone that knows what they are doing check it out before you buy. Like posted above the stress cracks are in a weird place. If it is just a top cap issue it is nothing to worry about. Could have taken a side whack on a bridge pylon or something.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

More fish in the sea, keep fishing!

13. Banned
    Looks cosmetic to me. Most likely over exposure to UV made the gel in those areas brittle. And flex just cracked it.

You'd be surprised how much all of our boats flex.

It’s not your boat. I would have zero concerns but I know what you mean.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I'd have a hard time buying a boat looking like that. My OCD nature would kick in every time I walked by it.

16. Banned
    Q: Should You be worried?

A: Would worrying fix the cracks? If You like the boat and the thing hanging off the back that propels said boat checks out; offer the amount, less the amount that would stop You from unnecessary worry, and there You are. Worry brings about unneeded stress, the stress will rob You of Your most valuable asset, Your 'time' as will worrying about shit You cannot control.

Bye the way the cracks all flow mostly in the same direction, It looks like a impact from the boat smacking a dock or pole. Its probably fine but I would have them just check it out at a Fiberglass Shop just to be sure.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

Quote Originally Posted by Melton Jason View Post
    Bye the way the cracks all flow mostly in the same direction, It looks like a impact from the boat smacking a dock or pole. Its probably fine but I would have them just check it out at a Fiberglass Shop just to be sure.
    My exact thought looking at the fact their all in the same area and all in the same direction.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

19. Member
    Seven years ago I completely restored a white 2006 TR186. I replaced all carpet, seats, polished and buffed out the hull. I had a few very small cracks, (nothing like in the picture). When completed, I fished every weekend for 9 months and easily sold the boat. Just saying. I can't tell how deep your cracks are from the picture.

20. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I wouldn't buy it myself. As stated, there are just too many good boats out there for sale.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast