Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I fished as a co angler from an 07 Tr21hp a couple weeks ago and it had SO many small cracks in that exact same area on both sides. I thought it was odd but this person bought the boat new and took care of it rather well. It had a 250 and dual poles so it was weighed down pretty well but nothing more than any other tournament boat.

White does show cracks more than other colors,,,,the boat I was in was dark grey/silver/black and I could still see no mess than 50 cracks on the top cap on each side. Personally I wouldn’t be too worried, but if you are there are plenty of other boats out there!

Good luck on your decision.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    I would say that more investigation is needed. Motor history, new lower unit, swivel tube etc in its history might show a previous impact. As said before a good glass man should be able to assess. Look in bilge for other signs.
    No absolutely a deal breaker but those cracks indicate a far amount of flex at some point.
    I am not an expert by any means.
    You might try the Triton board as well

3. Member
    it's a cosmetic deal but if you ever decide to fix them, it's gonna be expensive. I see more stress cracks on tritons and stratos than the others by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Melton Jason View Post
    Bye the way the cracks all flow mostly in the same direction, It looks like a impact from the boat smacking a dock or pole. Its probably fine but I would have them just check it out at a Fiberglass Shop just to be sure.
    My exact thought looking at the fact their all in the same area and all in the same direction.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

This could also be from a previous repair....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    It’s just cracks in the micro thin gel coat. The boat is fine. White doesn’t just show cracks easier, it does crack easier. I have an older Skeeter with stress fractures. The fractures are only in the white portions of the top cap. When the top cap changes colors, the fracture stops at the color change. The red, black, and silver gel coats are flawless. The white looks like it should be on a different boat. My boat was 18 yrs old and had 42 hours on it. These cracks happen just sitting. Cold/hot seasonal changes in temp. That’s what causes these cracks in the cosmetic layer.

7. Member
    Bought a 01 TR-186 four years ago. It had 52 hours on the meter and I believe it as the carpet was perfect, not a scratch I could find on the thing under the rub rail.

But, it does have several cracks around thos same rear corner areas.

As stated above, I know for a fact the boat was babied and stored for 6 years, white gel perhaps.just doesn't hold up. I am now at 325 hours and I could not be happier. The Triton TR-186 is the best 18" boat I've been in terms of layout and hole shot. I'm on plane in 3 seconds with a 150 at Altitude in CO.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    I had an 01 tr19. Mine had more cracks in the top cap than yours. The boat was solid, and had no issues with it. I traded it in on my 20 trx. I seen the guy with my old boat a few years later. He loves the boat, and has no issues with it. I was told triton had a bad run of gel coat for a few years. Mine was just in the gel coat and not in the fiberglass.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    He was making excuses . Flexing hulls cause cracks . Weak stringers cause flexing in weak hull .
    Good observation and advice.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcddllc View Post
    Im looking at a 2007 TR186. The boat sat in the weather for quite and will need some TLC to get the shine back.
    This will be my first fiberglass bass boat (previously had an alum.) and Im concerned about some cracks in the top cap as shown in the attached picture.
    Would you consider these stress cracks? Cracks in the paint or gel coat?
    And is this something I should be overly concerned about or is it par for the course on a 13 year old fiber glass boat?
    Thanks for any input.Attachment 391234
    Regardless of what caused the cracks, something is a problem that caused them in the first place, so unless you are buying it from the original owner at a give away price, and you can trust his explanation you shouldn't buy it.
    Would you buy a truck that when you first started it would have a rod knock for the first 10 minute and guy selling it says it goes away in a bit?? It can only get worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12