Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lower Unit Leaking Oil

2014 250 Pro Xs Serial #2B017358 (torquemaster 2)

**update**
    Well bad news...drained the LU today, probably 3-4oz of water in the oil. No metal shavings present. Thought I was in the clear...until I removed the oil carrier seal underneath the water pump. Upper driveshaft bearing lost a roller and looks toast. I’m sure the driveshaft is toast too. Going to call the dealership tomorrow and see if they will do anything for me. Definitely pissed that this probably should’ve been avoided, but I can’t really prove overfilling is/was the cause of bearing destruction. I’ll need to get some special tools if I’m going to tackle the next portion. Might just chalk it up to Insurance...

I fished all weekend and on Monday I noticed a slight oil slick in the water behind the boat. Came home today and saw oil on the floor. Initially thought it was 2 stroke oil, but upon further inspection it is gear oil and it appears to be coming out of like a weep hole in the top of the lower unit. Temps were in the teens at night after fishing, I trimmed the motor down at the ramp and let it drain all of the water out. I've inspected the gear case for cracks.

Water Pump and gear lube was replaced in September by dealer. I'm a bit baffled as of why oil is coming out like this. The only guess I have is a bad seal letting water in forcing the oil out? I popped the top vent screw on the LU and oil was present there. Also any oil that has leaked out seems to have appropriate color, not milky. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by AustinV; 01-27-2020 at 09:31 PM.

2. Kllr bee
    Shift shaft seal or driveshaft seal. Get it checked now.
    Richard

3. Member
    Easy fix. Shift shaft and or Driveshaft seal. Easy DIY. You will need to take your lower unit off, get a manual, and follow instructions exactly.

4. Member
    Good deal. I have a manual, just need to get some parts ordered. I think I’ll get a pressure tester for good measure and future use also. Thanks

5. Member
    that gearcase may have been overfilled in SEPTEMBER ,how much has it been ran ,longer runs will make it show up there
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Personally I think the oil is coming from the motor compartment and running down from the cowling.Maybe a bad hose.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    that gearcase may have been overfilled in SEPTEMBER ,how much has it been ran ,longer runs will make it show up there
    ^^^^^^^+1.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm with the "suspect it was overfilled".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Yep overfilled.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Easy fix. Shift shaft and or Driveshaft seal. Easy DIY. You will need to take your lower unit off, get a manual, and follow instructions exactly.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    Good deal. I have a manual, just need to get some parts ordered. I think I’ll get a pressure tester for good measure and future use also. Thanks
    Shift shaft has a cover with the seal imbedded in it. Don't try to replace the seal in the cover. Too difficult and you will likely scar the cover and need to replace it anyway. Just replace the entire cover as it will come with a brand new seal. The drive shaft is easy. Make sure you purchase the teflon grease that it recommends. Dont use regular grease.

Of course while in there be sure to replace the pump and seals for it too. Dont overfill the gear case or else you will be back in again. LOL.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Ive ran it 8-10 times probably since September. Sometimes upwards of 10 mile runs one way.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I'm with the "suspect it was overfilled".
    Don, assuming it was overfilled that means I should still replace the shift seal/driveshaft seal correct?

14. Member
    If those three guys say it was over filled you can pretty much take it to the bank it was. So if it were me before you go to all the work of replacing all the seals and possibly creating another problem. Drain it refill it with the proper amount meaning look up in the manual how much it holds and only put that amount in. Run it and see if your problem continues. When you drain it if the oil doesn’t show water in it I wouldn’t worry.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    Don, assuming it was overfilled that means I should still replace the shift seal/driveshaft seal correct?
    I would pressure test it to find the leak FIRST (unless it is so blatantly obvious that you know it would never be able to hold pressure).

It will be one of those two seals, though (based on where that gear lube came from).

Search for More Reeds and Injectors

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    I took it off and it's obviously the shift shaft seal. Oil is/was pooled up all over and around it. Thank you very much guys.

17. Member
    pressure test it after you drain it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

18. Member
    Would have been worth a try to remove the vent plug on the L/U. If a lot of fluid comes out, you have found the current problem. Doesn't mean a seal has not failed, of course, since excess fluid produces pressure that will push a seal outward and cause unnecessary wear and failure. When you remove the plug (lower unit cold, not right after running, nothing should come out of the vent plug. Or no more than a very few drops.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

19. Member
    Could someone please explain to me how in the world you can overfill the gearcase with the vent plug out as you fill from the bottom. Maybe I just don't know what ya'll are talking about...

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner magic View Post
    Could someone please explain to me how in the world you can overfill the gearcase with the vent plug out as you fill from the bottom. Maybe I just don't know what ya'll are talking about...
    By not having the lower unit level.
    By pumping the oil in too quickly allowing oil to pour out rapidly, then inserting the vent plug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast