Thread: Braid twist

Braid twist

Like many of us, I fish braid to fluoro on all of my spinning set ups. I have heard that one of the benefits is that the braid absorbs line twist. My question is, how much twist does braid absorb before it becomes a problem? How often do you guys untwist your braid?

I've never untwisted my braid, and I've had it over 2 years old on several occasions, including on at least one reel right now (I'll usually remove and reverse it at the end of a year if it's looking worn, or just keep trucking along otherwise). Of all the things I fish that cause line twist, the drop shot is probably the worst. I use longer leaders than many (usually 3 "wing spans" worth, so call it 18-20 feet) and have had times when fishing a wacky-rigged bait or not having a nose hooked bait rigged straight that my leader wants to twist up on me. I've never had my braid do that or really act any different at all from line twist. I also fish a tube a lot, another bait that twists up your line, usually with a 10-12 foot heavier fluoro leader in the 12 lb range. Similar situations with the leader wanting to act up, but never the braid. Your mileage may vary, of course.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

no twist with braid
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I don't currently use braid on spinning equipment. But back when I did, the line would develop some twist. Unlike the problems caused by twist in mono on a spinning reel, there was no problems with twist in the braid.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    I fish a drop-shot rig quite a bit with my spinning rig and don't use a ny kind of swivel. At some point in the day I'm dealing with a small bird's nest or loops down in the spool. It could be the reel.

6. Member
    I have never had braid twist so bad that it had any effects on casting or catching.

7. Member
    I disagree
    While testing a inline buzzbait without a front swivel my braid got so twisted you couldnt tie a knot . had to replace it. Put a swivel on the buzzbait and problem went away. But braid can get twisted .

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    I disagree
    While testing a inline buzzbait without a front swivel my braid got so twisted you couldnt tie a knot . had to replace it. Put a swivel on the buzzbait and problem went away. But braid can get twisted .
    What brand and break test did you have problems with?

oe

9. Member
    [QUOTE=OkobojiEagle;10808499]What brand and break test did you have problems with?
    I only throw power pro 65 but it was a proto type buzzbait that spun the line . just wanted to state braid can twist

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Like many of us, I fish braid to fluoro on all of my spinning set ups. I have heard that one of the benefits is that the braid absorbs line twist. My question is, how much twist does braid absorb before it becomes a problem? How often do you guys untwist your braid?
    1) Never had it become a problem. 2) Never. I wouldn't say that you couldn't provoke it to the point of showing the effects of some twisting, but you'd have to try pretty hard, IMO.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.