Question Yamaha Education

I apologize for a possibly simple question. I know very little about Yamaha motors, but I'll be buying a new to me rig in the next couple months so its time to learn.

My plan is to pay cash and keep it under $30k, 19'-20' with a 225 or 250. that puts me in the '05-'11ish year model range dependent on brand and accessories. Most have a Mercury or Yamaha HPDI

Educate me on Yamaha’s HPDI in that range and anything to look out for specifically. I have heard some HPDI’s in that time frame have powerhead issues?

thanks!
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

2. Member
    I am on my second Yamaha SHO (4 stroke). Great engine.
    It is not my intent to start a war here, but I would avoid a Yamaha HPDI.
    In your chosen model years, I would have more trust in a Mercury Optimax.
    Just my opinion.

Kudos to you for your tourney trail you are involved in.

3. Member
    Have an 2006 225 hpdi. Really like it no problems but I have read a bunch of horror stories about them so I don’t know. Like I say. I’ve been happy with mine.

4. Member
    thanks, it’s not my intent to start a fight either, but with no real history with HPDI engines I am just looking for real life info on them and if there is anything specific to look at it or for when checking a used one.
    I know all brands have their own issues and there are folks that have had a nightmare of a time with each brand as well.
    it *seems* I’ve heard a lot of stories of powerhead problems with the HPDI and the one person I know that had one has gone through two, I don’t want to have a skewed view from that small sample, just real info on it as it is a sizable investment.

I do like the SHO and my brother has a ‘16 model on his Skeeter, but they are few and far between in my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I am on my second Yamaha SHO (4 stroke). Great engine.
    It is not my intent to start a war here, but I would avoid a Yamaha HPDI.
    In your chosen model years, I would have more trust in a Mercury Optimax.
    Just my opinion.

Kudos to you for your tourney trail you are involved in.
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

5. Member
    The "big" block HPDI's are the more problematic of the various HPDI's. 3.3 liter models.

Within the 3.3 liter models, the VZ models seem to be the most problematic.

Most HPDI owners of any type don't suffer problems. Ever. Some HPDI owner have problems. Over and over again.

Some things that are believe to contribute to an enhanced life are:

1. Use Pennzoil 100% synthetic oil
    2. Use fresh gasoline rated at 91 (or better) octane
    3. Let the motor run in gear for a minute or so before hammering down on the throttle
    4. Don't hammer down on the throttle
    5. Maker sure that the propeller is sized so that when the boat is loaded, the throttle is wide open, the motor is trimmed up only to the point of best boat speed, that the motor can turn at or right near the red line RPM.

6. Member
    I believe from 2007 to the end of HPDI production, they were all series 2 motors. I know yamaha told me the differences between the series but the increase oiling seems to be biggest difference. I loved mine.

7. Member
    I've got a 2006 200VZ HPDI bought in 2008 with 24 hours on it....got over 480 hours now...change filteres, spark plugs run ring free....

8. Member
    Anyone have any experience with the sport model 4 stroke they made around 2008? Was it the motor they turned into the SHO? Is it as good as the saltwater 4 stroke it came from?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hightide View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the sport model 4 stroke they made around 2008? Was it the motor they turned into the SHO? Is it as good as the saltwater 4 stroke it came from?
    I suspect that you are talking about the 3.3 liter F225TLR. It is a variant of the tried and true 3.3 liter F200/F225/F250's. The F225TLR really being a version of the F250 (single throttle valve) with a 20" lower unit.

The F225TLR did not evolve into the SHO. The SHO (4.2 liter) was of completely new design.

10. Member
    Your suspicions are correct. I was unsure about the specifics, I just knew it was kind of a hybrid and right before the SHO. Thanks for the information. So, they were good motors, too?

Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I suspect that you are talking about the 3.3 liter F225TLR. It is a variant of the tried and true 3.3 liter F200/F225/F250's. The F225TLR really being a version of the F250 (single throttle valve) with a 20" lower unit.

The F225TLR did not evolve into the SHO. The SHO (4.2 liter) was of completely new design.

11. Member
    Every bit as good.