2005 Triton 225 Optimax Update After Service

I had my 05 Triton w/ 225 optimax serviced a few weeks ago. I had a self-diagnosed "oil leak."
    I went to a local Triton/Skeeter/Phoenix dealer with an excellent reputation. I was quoted for the replacement of an air handler gasket repair.
    The part was $84.95 (understandable). Labor for this job was $445. On top of the 100-hour service ($387), my total bill was a little over $800.
    Does this sound/seem right, in your experiences? I'm not upset--just looking for comparisons.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tdub86
    I'm running a 2004 225 optimax (Serial # 0T961839)
    I've had the boat out three times since March. Everything has run well--no alarms, good water pressure, smooth shifting, etc.)
    After sitting for a week (temperature never got below 50 F at night), I noticed this afternoon that there was a small amount of what I think is oil coming out of the four small holes on the lower unit facing the transom. I read in an OMC board that this could just be engine oil that wasn't used in the combustion process. I've included pictures below:
    Attachment 362607Attachment 362608

Again--this was a trace amount and the first time I've seen this. There was no leaking from the vent or fill screws for lower unit lube. I live about an hour and a half from a dealer. I wanted to get some advice before I called and made the trip. Thanks!

2. Member
    You should have let the Dealer diagnose the leak.

3. Member
    Thanks, Savage. I wasn't clear in my post. The dealer diagnosed the leak as a bad air handler gasket; hence the air handler gasket repair. The gasket was the 84 dollar part; the labor was 445--I'm guessing because so much had to be taken apart to get the gasket.

4. Member
    Sounds high to me.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdub86 View Post
    The dealer diagnosed the leak as a bad air handler gasket; hence the air handler gasket repair.
    keep a close eye on the lower bolt hole on intake for oil pump mounting often mistaken for gasket leak
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A bit difficult to answer your question based on "partial" information. There were, undoubtedly, more parts involved than just an air handler gasket.

And what all was replaced in the Annual Maintenance?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    keep a close eye on the lower bolt hole on intake for oil pump mounting often mistaken for gasket leak
    Yep^^^^

8. Member
    Thank you for all of the info.
    My Annual Maintenance included:
    Spark plug replacement
    Fuel Filter Replacement
    Compressor Air intake filter replacement
    Lubrication of all lubrication points
    Drain/replace lower unit fluid (plus new screws w/gaskets)
    Check/refill power trim fluid
    Lubricate drive shaft, shift shaft, & splines
    Water pump impeller replacement

While I know the manual indicates the water pump impeller is every 300 hours in the manual, I learned (from Dad's 1991 175 Black Max) that changing the water pump impeller more often is pretty good insurance.
    Thanks again, EuropeanAM for your help and your insight. I've learned so much from this forum!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdub86 View Post
    Thank you for all of the info.
    My Annual Maintenance included:
    Spark plug replacement
    Fuel Filter Replacement
    Compressor Air intake filter replacement
    Lubrication of all lubrication points
    Drain/replace lower unit fluid (plus new screws w/gaskets)
    Check/refill power trim fluid
    Lubricate drive shaft, shift shaft, & splines
    Water pump impeller replacement

While I know the manual indicates the water pump impeller is every 300 hours in the manual, I learned (from Dad's 1991 175 Black Max) that changing the water pump impeller more often is pretty good insurance.
    Thanks again, EuropeanAM for your help and your insight. I've learned so much from this forum!
    Water pump interval changed to ONCE PER YEAR or EVERY 100 Hours (whichever occurs FIRST) back in 2006. See FAQ Section for detailed maintenance recommendations.

If you had those items done AND the attenuator gasket replaced for the price you indicated, that is certainly fair.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor