Question Optimax and Pro XS

I apologize for a possibly simple question. I know very little about Mercury motors, but I'll be buying a new to me rig in the next couple months so its time to learn.

My plan is to pay cash and keep it under $30k, 19'-20' with a 225 or 250. that puts me in the '05-'11ish year model range dependent on brand and accessories. Most have a Mercury or Yamaha HPDI

Educate me on Mercury's in that range and anything to look out for specifically. I know there is a designation change from Optimax to Optimax ProXS in that time frame but don't know what that entails.
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "ProXS" engines were first released during the 2004 calendar year. The line expanded to eventually include a 115, 200, 225, and 250.

The "200" is a bit of an odd animal, and doesn't necessarily contain all of the same "improvements" found in other ProXS Optimax models. This varied depending on serial number.

Overall- they were great engines. I personally preferred the 225, as it's torque curve was very good, and it's port configuration provided a bit smoother performance. This is, of course, JMHO.

As with anything used- good idea to obtain the serial number (provide it here and we can look it up for you)- and have the engine inspected by a knowledgeable technician.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor