Jackplate size and height for an '05 521VS ?

Hi Guy's, Wondering if 12" of setback is too much for my 521VS? Its a Detwiller Hydraulic. I think I saw where I can buy shorter angle mounts to shorten the setback to 8 0r 10". I also have a new 10" Slidemaster manual. If I use the Slidemaster, what is the ideal propshaft height in relation to the pad? Thanks for any input!

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I don’t know the answer to how much setback you can/should use, but ideal prop to pad will depend on the prop you are using and, to a lesser degree, the engine. Hopefully another 521 owner of that era will chime in with further info on setback.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Yes sorry, forgot to list the motor- 225 Opti with a 24" Tempest. It is currently rigged on a Triton TR21X with the 12" Detwiller Hydraulic jack plate I mentioned. .

4. Member
    The 10" is what you will want it's what I run on mine along with several others. I can't help with prop to pad because I never measure mine. The Tempest prop if good will be a fine prop however on that hull a Bravo 1xs is better and can run a little higher up than the Tempest. Hole shot is about the same on both props but you will be 1-2 mph slower with the Bravo. The Bravo will be a MUCH better handling prop and will lift the bow at slower speeds which the Tempest just can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnabe View Post
    The 10" is what you will want it's what I run on mine along with several others. I can't help with prop to pad because I never measure mine. The Tempest prop if good will be a fine prop however on that hull a Bravo 1xs is better and can run a little higher up than the Tempest. Hole shot is about the same on both props but you will be 1-2 mph slower with the Bravo. The Bravo will be a MUCH better handling prop and will lift the bow at slower speeds which the Tempest just can't do.
    gonnabe is 100% right. He advise me to get a 10" JP and 27p Bravo 1 XS for my 03 521VX. I'll probably get a smaller pitch prop for the summer as I run 4 group 31 batteries and dual 10' power poles, but this setup works very well, especially in the cooler months. I think my "normal" running prop to pad is 3 1/2" below pad.
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

6. Member
    Thanks for all the info guy's! I think I heard 3-1/2" below pad is the right height so thanks for the conf. That's where I'll start- using the new 10" Slide Master. I did speak with someone at Ranger on Wed and I was told 6-8" on set back to avoid porpoising .If I have an issue I'll drop down. I was also told that my '05 521 VS is one of the best riding 521 hulls ever produced. I'll be anxious to run it- maybe a week or so from now. I may be selling my Triton TR21X if I like this Ranger.

7. Member
    You won't get porpoising with a 10" just use you're trim properly.

A 10” Atlas hyd on my 03 521. I had problems with it performing the way I thought it should. Darryl on here called and spent a bunch of time getting me straightened out. I had a 6” plate and put a 4” extension on it. I run a Merc 250xs on mine. I went with a 26p Bravo 1 xs and didn’t lose any top end. Picked up a couple mph and really woke the boat up with handling and Acceleration. I hung another Talon on it and killed my hole shot. Need to send the prop to Mark to get a little work done on it.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

I'm running a 27p Bravo 1 XS, 10" JP, and 03' 250 XS. Works well in the winter and cooler months. Been thinking about a 25p or 26p for the summer when its hot and I'm heavy, anyone have thoughts on that?
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

10. Member
    26" might work for you but put me on the rev limiter had to stay with a 27"