Prop Recommendations: 99 TR-21 with 225 Yamaha VMAX

I have been setting up a boat a little at a time. It's a 99 TR-21, I have installed an 02 Yamaha 225 VMAX EFI on it using a Hydro-dynamics 8" Jack plate. I have been running an 02 vintage m-25 Yamaha prop that is a little rough. I would like to buy a prop to replace it before I spend the time and effort to "dial it in". I plan to keep the 25 as a backup.

What does everybody who is running similar setups run for props? I know one recommendation is the M-27. Anybody running a tempest or a fury and what size?

Second question: Yamaha is still selling a "M-27" in their Pro-series line, Is it the same as the older m-27 and should I expect similar performance?

Thanks
    Eric

2. Member
    I’m running an 02 Tr21 with a Yamaha 225 OX66 and been running a 26 Tempest plus. With 2 big boys loaded to fish; power pole; and 4 batteries it will run 70-71.

3. Member
    98 tr21 with 01 225 v max 6in plate and 4 batteries. I ran a 27m that was a little rough and it worked good until I ran it over a point, so currently I am running a 27 tempest plus and it works ok but it's a little too much prop. I tried a friends 26 tempest plus that had been worked and it ran awesome. the 27 runs good in cold water but is a bit slow on holeshot even with all large plugs. Summer temps and loaded really heavy, it's a pig until it comes out and then it's fine but still a little low on rpm. I found a 26 tempest plus that I am going to have worked with extra cup and I think it will be the best. You might be ok with the 27 and the 8" plate but it's a crap shoot. Overall, I really like the way the tempest plus runs on the boat better than the m series. More lift, better bite in every way in my opinion. Best bet would be to find a marina and try a couple different ones. Ymmv!
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

4. Member
    Id try a 25 t1. You might like it a little better.

5. Member
    thank you for all the info.

The Mercury props are easier and cheaper for me to obtain where I live as they are WAY more common.