Thread: Blackout Finish

Blackout Finish

I think this is the sharpest looking finish I’ve seen (once the outer stripes are changed to white). My dealer has a 520c in this and it’s just gorgeous. That being said, I’m going with a 519 so I have a few questions for those who have the Blackout or even a dark finish:

1) How is your finish holding up? How visible are scrapes, scuffs, etc? Are there constant water spots?

2) What color did you go with for the top cap? I don’t want anything dark/black here due to the sun. This will be the area I’ll be in contact with.

3) Do you wish you would have gone with some different/something lighter in color?

Somewhat related question - is the standard G2 color black and silver? I can’t seem to find an answer on this. If anybody has the standard color that can post a few pics, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fishinarc; 07-29-2021 at 02:08 PM.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar

My boat has a black hull. Like fishinarc said, "WHEN CLEAN!", my boat looks sharp. I use ProTec Showroom conditioner when cleaning after pulling off the water. Not sure if it's because our water here in SoCal is different, but it's a water spot magnet. I just cleaned the hull this past weekend with a buddy, started with Dawn, then a spot remover and finally a rubbing alcohol and water mix. Then hit it with ProTec Sealant polish and it looks brand new again.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd not go with a black hull. It sure is purdy when it's clean but a total hassle to maintain for sure! My carpet, gunnels and top cap are black too and you don't want to touch the gunnels unless you're wearing 5mil fire retardant asbestos gloves as it's like putting your hand on a cast iron pan in the heat of summer. If/when it's time to replace the carpet, I may go with SeaDek. I was thinking I'd start off with all the doors and see how that looked, might be cool to go with red and offset all the black.

Anyway, hope this helps in your decision.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    I have '17 Blackout, that has white center stripes and top cap. Love it. Yes, it's tough to keep clean. But, it's worth it if you're willing to wipe it down at the ramp. Vinegar and water is all you need. I have the standard G2 color and it looks great on that combo.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Agree with above if your a neat freak it'll look good but if you let them go at all they look dirty/dingy. I wipe mine down everytime I pull out with lucas slickmist and wax every once a month by hand. Usually fish 5-6 days a week and boat is now a year old and you can't tell it's not new fiberglass. The only changes I may make again is a lighter carpet as it is hotter than hades. Mine is all black with silver pins.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Use Jet Dry, the stuff for dishwashers. it takes away any water spots or, swirls. The very best thing we have found for Black Mist & Eclipse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-A Bassin View Post
    Use Jet Dry, the stuff for dishwashers. it takes away any water spots or, swirls. The very best thing we have found for Black Mist & Eclipse.
    That sounds interesting. Does it need to be diluted?

9. Member
    I'm curious too, that sounds like a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstondry View Post
    That sounds interesting. Does it need to be diluted?

10. BBC SPONSOR
    After wash just add a little Jet Dry to a bucket of water and wipe down. Winstondry, you have a good looking boat. It looks like you drove a long way to buy it.

I've had blackout for quite awhile. I wouldnt change it and dont find it any more difficult to clean than anything else. The best quick spray by far is Hot Sauce. Amazing stuff and Ive used lots of them. It easily removes waterspots and adds a really nice gloss to the finish.
    Keep the top cap light colored and be especially carefull about the seat colors. Black and grey are Hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-A Bassin View Post
    After wash just add a little Jet Dry to a bucket of water and wipe down. Winstondry, you have a good looking boat. It looks like you drove a long way to buy it.
    Thanks, Toby. I bought it sight unseen, unless you count drooling all over my keyboard and monitor seeing it. LoL! Had it delivered from Missouri.

Black seats are HOT!!
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

14. Member
    Would love to see more pics of your boats if you can add them. looking for next boat's color scheme!

I’ve had black, and will ever go back. Scuffs, spots, scratches all show more than other colors. Like noted above, it was gorgeous when clean. It was too much work to keep it looking slick, it was a 2014. Definitely a love hate relationship
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 FS

Quote Originally Posted by Z9mccoy View Post
    I’ve had black, and will ever go back. Scuffs, spots, scratches all show more than other colors. Like noted above, it was gorgeous when clean. It was too much work to keep it looking slick, it was a 2014. Definitely a love hate relationship
    I agree with this but I think having a black boat motivates you to keep it looking nice vs a white boat covered in road dirt that blends in.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-